A conversation with the hill demon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Whitehaven to Sunderland.

Put those slicks on now and pump them up to the maximum pressure shown on the sidewall. The increase in speed and ease of cycling will astonish you and you'll be so thrilled that you will actually go out more and train better for the C2C. Honestly! There's nothing more dispiriting that pushing knobbly rubber on tarmac; all that buzzing you hear is your energy being wasted and turned into sound.

compo

Veteran
There's nothing more dispiriting that pushing knobbly rubber on tarmac; all that buzzing you hear is your energy being wasted and turned into sound.

I only use my MTB along the riverbanks or for towing a trailer to the shops. I don't use it as a training or leisure bike. It has 1.95 nobbly tyres and I like the buzzing they make on the road. I guess it is the childish side of my nature and is the same pleasure we used to get with a lollipop stick or playing card fixed to the frame to run against the spokes and make a noise.

OK, so I'm peculiar, but it's OK being bonkers as long as you are aware you are bonkers.

OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
Where did you find a hill like that on the Wirral!
Ha ha - I know what you mean - there aren't that many serious hills on Wirral although the climb from the lowest to the highest points in Heswall nearly finished me off last week!! The hill I was referring to is Grange Road in West Kirby. Ok, ok, I know its only a 50m vertical gain which is nothing compared to the c2c climbs however to finish off my ride with it still hurts!!

Ha ha - I know what you mean - there aren't that many serious hills on Wirral although the climb from the lowest to the highest points in Heswall nearly finished me off last week!! The hill I was referring to is Grange Road in West Kirby. Ok, ok, I know its only a 50m vertical gain which is nothing compared to the c2c climbs however to finish off my ride with it still hurts!!

I know it well! It is a proper hill.

I've got a little loop which goes up Grange Road, up the cutting at Thurstaston, back around to Montogomery Hill, up Thurstaston and repeat as many times as you feel like it and on the last turn of Montgomery hill go back up Column Road, down Grammar School lane and around to Black Horse Hill: You can see it below.

http://app.strava.com/activities/20918270

It's one of the few ways you can practise hills around here. It'll hurt but just think how better up hills you'll be.

lejogger

Guru

I've struggled up Grange Road many times... It's deceptively tough, especially if you try to take it on at too quick a pace at the start. It's definitely a spinner rather than a sprinter.

Shotton Lane over the Dee is a good hill to have a practice on as well if you make it over the water on a training ride. It's not too far, and you can stop for a cuppa at the Eureka Cafe on the way home :thumbsup:

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
BUT.....will there ever come a point when I can 'do' hills without it being a struggle?
Is there a magic number of hills or miles after which I'll start to actually enjoy the climbs??

As has been said, you get better at hills by doing hills but sadly, no, they don't get easier; all that changes is your definitions and how you quantify them.

"Hills (this will be a challange and I will be feeling it by the end of it)" become "Flat" (that didnt register, I just cruised over it)

and "Mountains" (are you nuts?! Im not going up) become "Hills".

As to whether you'll ever enjoy climbs, that depends on how your relationship with said hill demon develops. My relationship with Egor (who rather bizarely has recently become Aussie and grown a goatee) is a decent one; I take his banter and put downs in good nature when he rears his head and enjoy putting him in his place. On the odd occassion he does beat me, I'll just accept it and go back again later to beat him back.

I'm not sure that final paragraph is entirely healthy, but hey-ho.

Reactions: Jet

Peddlar

Spinning Addict!
I tend to combine the hill monster with breathing our of my arse on sever climbs, I don't claim to be any good, but I persevere to be better..

sheffgirl

I only use my MTB along the riverbanks or for towing a trailer to the shops. I don't use it as a training or leisure bike. It has 1.95 nobbly tyres and I like the buzzing they make on the road. I guess it is the childish side of my nature and is the same pleasure we used to get with a lollipop stick or playing card fixed to the frame to run against the spokes and make a noise.

OK, so I'm peculiar, but it's OK being bonkers as long as you are aware you are bonkers.

I like riding deliberately riding through big puddles sometimes to make a splash, it makes me smile :laugh:

Back on topic, I very nearly made it to the top of my hill today, so I am quite pleased with myself :wahhey:

compo

Veteran
I like riding deliberately riding through big puddles sometimes to make a splash, it makes me smile :laugh:

Back on topic, I very nearly made it to the top of my hill today, so I am quite pleased with myself :wahhey:

Well done, it wont be long now before you get to the top. Once you have done it once you will have no more trouble with it!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
When I realised I had reached the point where I enjoy the climbs up hills and mountains more than the descents, I knew I'd truly turned to the dark side and that there was no salvation :crazy:

OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
My conversation usually goes like this
Left right left right left in a continuos mantra with grunts punctuating it

Well today I resorted to singing when it got a bit tough - Bon Jovis 'Its my life' and 'Always' got me to the top a couple of times.
Give it a few months and by the sounds of some of the comments I'll be so speedy I'll be pedalling to Meatloaf - Bat out of hell!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Well today I resorted to singing when it got a bit tough - Bon Jovis 'Its my life' and 'Always' got me to the top a couple of times.
Give it a few months and by the sounds of some of the comments I'll be so speedy I'll be pedalling to Meatloaf - Bat out of hell!

beavisnbutthead2.gif

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
When it's bad, I've recently found myself reciting poems and Shakespearean soliloquies (it's the same as singing but without the risk of shattering my carbon forks).

When it's really bad, I resort to my Dory impression ... Just keep going, just keep going, just keep going...

Top Bottom