A Different Type Of Cyclist Harassment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did not imagine that this sort of harassment of female cyclists existed. One of the comments by a female cyclist, Dawn Foster, is quite disturbing and describes completely disgusting behaviour.

http://www.independe...ke-2033120.html

Shocking, as a male I feel ashamed on behalf of our knuckle dragging cousins.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
They could be on every traffic light, every day for a year / 2 years etc, they'd NEVER catch me or fine me, because I don't RLJ - simple.

Fair play to the police for doing it, but I would want pressure putting on the govt to use the money from the fines to be used on cycling infrastructure........

[was that a pig flying past my window...?]

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It is horrible, but like it says in the article, it goes on for pedestrians too. I think it's very easy for cyclists to think that abuse it to do with traffic aggro and forget about other sorts. People do get singled out because the are on their bikes but so do pedestrians. At least on a bike you can ride out of danger more easily.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Disgusting behaviour
angry.gif

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They could be on every traffic light, every day for a year / 2 years etc, they'd NEVER catch me or fine me, because I don't RLJ - simple.

Fair play to the police for doing it, but I would want pressure putting on the govt to use the money from the fines to be used on cycling infrastructure........

[was that a pig flying past my window...?]

Er, I think you're in the wrong thread
whistling.gif

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
That London... :sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't think I've ever encountered anything like this - I'm too ugly I suppose, to arouse the interest of even the saddest perv....

That said, I don't tend to wear plunging necklines, and most of my commutes are in crud covered trousers and teeshirts - not terribly alluring.

joolsybools

The blog mentioned in the artilcle refers to New York. Its far less of an issue in England imo (although saying that there was some freaky letcherous perv whom I expressed my impression of on the way home tonight)

taxing

I don't get any more comments when I'm on my bike than I do when I'm walking. Still sad that I have to listen to the uninvited opinions of these primitives whichever form of transport I'm using, but at least the bike doesn't make it worse.

wafflycat

I've had such comments/actions occasionally. It can illicit a look of extreme surprise on the offender's face when I point out to him, in terms which would make a North Shields fishwife blush, where exactly he can shove it....

dondare

Über Member
The blog mentioned in the artilcle refers to New York. Its far less of an issue in England imo (although saying that there was some freaky letcherous perv whom I expressed my impression of on the way home tonight)

Where does it say New York? I assumed London, considering that it starts with the new Cycle Hire scheme.

Top Bottom