A driving instructor told me.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Of course he might have been an impostor, but the driver of a Driving School car told me I should have been cycling on the pavement after I caught up with him a few miles along the road from where he close passed me whilst a stream of oncoming cars approached.
I got quite a fright, but had calmed down before eventually catching up with him parked up with a young student driver at the wheel.
He told me "of course" he was aware of the safe passing distance rule but said I should have been cycling on the pavement. No point in arguing I said, I'll let the police deal with it, and left.
I reported the incident to the national Police helpdesk place, who in turn contact the local force if the complainant is willing to take the matter further. When the local force rep phoned me he asked if I had camera evidence when I replied in the negative he said there would be no action taken. I told him I realised my complaint would not stand up in court, but surely the police could "have a word"? After some debate he agreed to "let me know later". Later the office sergeant called to say they had contacted the registered owner and informed him they had received a complaint regarding the vehicle.
I was satisfied with that:smile:.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Driving instructors, taxi drivers, scaffolders...

I had a very similar incident near Godalming in Surrey a couple of weeks back, only this complete prat had a student driving the car, who he was clearly telling to beep the horn at me, then leaned out of the window, and told me I was going to get “F****ng killed” if I rode on the road, when there was a “perfectly good cycle lane” to my left. So I got his details, from the signs all over his car, and reported it to the DSA.

classic33

Leg End Member
Had a word with an instructor who passed me then had the driver park up just after a road narrowing. He felt that as he wasn't driving, using a mobile phone was okay.

I'd to leave the "Beast o'Burden", whilst I had a word with him.

Slick

Guru
Of course he might have been an impostor, but the driver of a Driving School car told me I should have been cycling on the pavement after I caught up with him a few miles along the road from where he close passed me whilst a stream of oncoming cars approached.
I got quite a fright, but had calmed down before eventually catching up with him parked up with a young student driver at the wheel.
He told me "of course" he was aware of the safe passing distance rule but said I should have been cycling on the pavement. No point in arguing I said, I'll let the police deal with it, and left.
I reported the incident to the national Police helpdesk place, who in turn contact the local force if the complainant is willing to take the matter further. When the local force rep phoned me he asked if I had camera evidence when I replied in the negative he said there would be no action taken. I told him I realised my complaint would not stand up in court, but surely the police could "have a word"? After some debate he agreed to "let me know later". Later the office sergeant called to say they had contacted the registered owner and informed him they had received a complaint regarding the vehicle.
I was satisfied with that:smile:.
Exact same thing for me this morning although I never did get the chance to catch up with them. It was the fact it was a student driver at the wheel and he was obviously satisfied with the manoeuvre that really got me.

I think I did get it on camera though.:biggrin:

Domus

Guru
Whilst pushing my laden shopping trolley to my car this afternoon taking a straight line from supermarket door to the car, a taxi driver honked his horn. He wanted to park in the bay I was traversing. As I was there before he started to turn in I told him he had to wait 'till it was clear, he said because it was a carpark cars have priority. :wacko:

pjd57

Veteran
After a recent incident when I was knocked off my bike , I had to return to the police station for a second visit to get an incident reference number.

After a long wait , I got it , and was also told that no action would be taken against the driver who had admitted they " made an error of judgement".

Going over giveway line and hitting a bike didn't seem to merit any form of action at all.
Not even one of their awareness courses.

Top Bottom