A driving instructor told me.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The point I was making - possibly quite badly - is that your average run off the mill ADI is no more skilled or qualified a driver than your Mum or Dad, so is it really surprising that their attitude and behaviour is often little different to the average Joe?
Cobblers.

Try qualifying yourself and you'll find out. You get idiots in every profession, including among police traffic officers.

Apart from making the cyclist feel better does anyone truly believe chasing a driver and “having a word” achieves anything other than antagonise the driver?

My own view is it simply puts the individual cyclist at risk of the situation escalating.

No amount of discussion will convince this type of driver he/she is wrong.

I commute by motorbike these days and often, in slow moving traffic on the motorways will have to brake suddenly as someone changes lanes without indicating or I get cut up in slow moving traffic elsewhere.

My comment to the driver each time is "please indicate, it can make all the difference if I know you're changing lanes" usually I get an apology.

classic33

Leg End Member
I commute by motorbike these days and often, in slow moving traffic on the motorways will have to brake suddenly as someone changes lanes without indicating or I get cut up in slow moving traffic elsewhere.

My comment to the driver each time is "please indicate, it can make all the difference if I know you're changing lanes" usually I get an apology.
You use something like this?
maxresdefault-1.jpg

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
Apart from making the cyclist feel better does anyone truly believe chasing a driver and “having a word” achieves anything other than antagonise the driver?
My own view is it simply puts the individual cyclist at risk of the situation escalating.
No amount of discussion will convince this type of driver he/she is wrong.
I think it is worthwhile.
By seeing me face to face politely expressing my concerns it would hopefully cause him to reflect on his relationship with fellow travellers which must surely do something to engender mutual respect and safety. I think we all become somewhat de-humanised when cocooned in a car and forget that we share the road with others with whom we have a great deal in common.
When behind the wheel of his car he had regarded me not as a fellow human but simply an obstruction to his selfish desire to get to his next destination as soon as possible.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cobblers.

Try qualifying yourself and you'll find out. You get idiots in every profession, including among police traffic officers.

I was qualified far, far, far in excess of an ADI, until I left RPU in 2003. The level of their training is kindergarten in comparison, ta very much.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was qualified far, far, far in excess of an ADI, until I left RPU in 2003. The level of their training is kindergarten in comparison, ta very much.
It is still at a much higher standard than a civilian driving test and in excess of the IAM test, which was a doddle in comparison. To say they are no better trained than the average driver is just wrong.

Incidentally, former police advanced drivers have a poor record in qualifying as ADIs, not on the driving part obviously but in their ability to pass the knowledge on to pupils. Impatience and lack of empathy being their downfall.

Top Bottom