A dusting of snow and the London shuts down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
How often does that sort of comment appear, accompanied by something like: "Ha! just look at Canada! Months of snow and never a problem!. Bloody government!"

D1's WhatsApp from the bus to work in Vancouver this morning (Vancouver time..):

"I'm having a nightmare getting to work, the busses can't make it up the hills in the snow.
I left an hour ago and it should be a 25 minute journey but I'm actually further from work than when I started"

how much snow?

vancouver snow.png

Lonestar

Veteran
Really? Does Canada have no problem with snow?

Most places have extremes

In Iceland two years ago, the ring road was closed because of bad weather, and we were unable to move out of the hotel for several days

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
How often does that sort of comment appear, accompanied by something like: "Ha! just look at Canada! Months of snow and never a problem!. Bloody government!"

D1's WhatsApp from the bus to work in Vancouver this morning (Vancouver time..):

"I'm having a nightmare getting to work, the busses can't make it up the hills in the snow.
I left an hour ago and it should be a 25 minute journey but I'm actually further from work than when I started"

how much snow?

View attachment 336057

Pah! That would barely merit a coat up here...
:laugh:

Last edited:
Places have problems with weather they don't often expect. My first 10 years in London, there wasn't a heavy snowfall. So when there finally was, I was pretty cool with with it shutting everything down for a day or 2. It didn't make any sense to have hundreds of snowploughs poised for the once in a decade or less occasion.

On the other hand, I was working for Sky at the time, and I was slightly embarrassed by the organisation wide email that send all London worker home after 6 inches of snow, while the Scotland office stayed at work in 2 feet of snow. Embarrassed, but I also understood. Workers might get trapped at work in London or on their way home, but the Scottish roads were all open.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I was in Dubai during a very heavy rain storm.
Guess what the roads couldn't cope with the run off of water and all the shopping centres sprung roof leaks.

cubey

Über Member
Southern softies..........................^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
^^^ this.. mind you you have to laugh when news reporters say we have heavy snow here,but you can see green grass behind them.... 1mm and chaos follows

Top Bottom