A Dutch Guy is Disgusted by America

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
You have to be careful here. I try to choose my riding times to avoid traffic. I also stay to the outside as far as I safely can. I will only take a stronger road position when I feel I really need to. We do have a lot of paved shoulders on the busier roads in my area.

In my local area it doesn't seem that drivers are that aggressive and most do give plenty of room. Drivers are just not used to bicycles and some don't know how to handle them very well. I try to share the road with them the best I can. People that live in college towns see more cyclist and many of them have a little more bicycle infrastructure. I have never seen those bicycle green lights and would be very careful around them here. People in cars seeing green are going to be taking off. :ohmy:

There have been several fatalities in my region the past several weeks, very sad.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I live in a 4 college town in the midwest, and we also have a huge number of commuters cycling to and from jobs at 2 large insurance companies. I drive a bus, and am used to bicycle riders of all sorts. I have yet to see an accident involving a bike myself, although I've seen both bad drivers and riders. And a couple of bicycle riders that are simply mad. Most drivers in my area are very courteous, and our state has a three foot rule as well. And I have seen it enforced. Cities, and towns without a cycling population, may be where you would have trouble, as well as in rural areas. In rural areas, the sheriffs police often know who the hooligans are.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't know what the guy expects. It's like like cycling in any big busy city. He should try it here where we hardly catered for at all and where there is a cycle lane you are just as likely to meet a car or motorbike using it. At lest rules and regulations apply in the US.

Top Bottom