A few good pumps...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blackburn Carbon Wrap air stick - for the road bike - sticks out of my pockets though.

Commuting - Decathlon Clever 900 - with gauge and can be used as a mini track pump.

Home - Silka track pump - over 20 years old and working fine.

Plax

Guru
Does the Topeak Mini Morph work on Presta valves without needing an adaptor? I have a bog standard Cannon "accessory pack" mini pump which fits both. I've never needed to use it though but I can't imagine that it would be particularly easy to pump up a tyre with it, and it also doesn't have a gauge.

ak88

Tynan said:
will do, a few on here have rated it highly, it looks excellent as long as you don;t die pumping, I mainly want to get to 100psi with something I can carry and that doesn't stress the valve

and a lot more have dissed the cyclairs, falling to bits rather quickly despite being a cracking idea

I got a mini morph and its much better than the usual pump because of the flexible tube. However I couldn't get it much over 80 PSI - it was getting quite difficult - or maybe I'm just too weak!. (I checked with the track pump after) - I think it was quite easy getting up to around 70-ish. Luckily I've not had to use it much (twice touch wood) and its been useful for a friend who used it to pump the wheels up on his sons Like-a-Bike Jumper (because of the small valve head). For the size and weight it can't really be beat although I've not seen the raod morph in the flesh so can't comment on the trade off between the size and weight versus the performance.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have to admit to carrying a CO2 inflator, I pump as much as I can with the mini pump then top up with CO2...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ak88 said:
However I couldn't get it much over 80 PSI - it was getting quite difficult - or maybe I'm just too weak!. (I checked with the track pump after) - I think it was quite easy getting up to around 70-ish.

I've seen reviews that make the same comment - it's the volume it can put in that's the thing I think you have to pump for a looooooong time.

ak88, if you're interested, I can measure/weigh the Road Morph G for you when I get home.

OP
OP
mootaineer

mootaineer

ak88 said:
...However I couldn't get it much over 80 PSI - it was getting quite difficult - or maybe I'm just too weak!

Maybe that's it.
IIRC some of the Topeak ones can be used like a trackpump so it's easier to get air in.

One of the problems I have with my Quicker Pro is that it's too easy to get the tyre to high pressures. The gauge doesn't work well (or somehow I don't know how to read it) so I'm concerned about overinflation.

My phobia comes from this:
A few years ago I was pumping my rear tyre at home, with one eye on the TV. Next thing...BAAAANG! :smile: My tyre is off the rim and bits of inner tube everywhere! :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
the MiniMorph arrived just now, it looks very well made and clever and it's pleasingly dinky

the barrel is small but works for me considering the carrying it around to using it ratio, my current Blackburn pump maxs out at 100 strokes ish for 60ish psi, reviews talk about 200 odd strokes for this one I think, I'll take 200 easy ones over 100 increasingly difficult ones, not having to worry about the valve will be welcome too

if it gets me to 100psi without straining it's a winner for me, it looks ergonomic with the foot and the handle and I'm a big strong boy, proof will be in the using I suppose

ooo, and a free wiggle keyring bottle opener too, dinky too

OP
OP
mootaineer

mootaineer

Tynan said:
the MiniMorph arrived just now, it looks very well made and clever and it's pleasingly dinky

...proof will be in the using I suppose...

ooo, and a free wiggle keyring bottle opener too, dinky too

Thanks Tynan!
Would you mind doing a p******e simulation for me? :angry:

...they've stopped doing those winegums now? ;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
mootaineer said:
...they've stopped doing those winegums now? ;)

Yes - they say they may reintroduce them (I like the bottle opener, my kids don't).

Tynan

Veteran
mootaineer said:
Thanks Tynan!
Would you mind doing a p******e simulation for me? :biggrin:

...they've stopped doing those winegums now? :biggrin:

I knew someone would ask that, suspect my curiosity will get the better of me this weekend anyway

Best test at home with the proper daddy pump and a nice cold refreshing beer to hand, be interesting to see what pressure it/I manage

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I had the Cyclaire and it's an utter pain and next to useless. Will not stay on presta valves once there's about 70 or 80 psi in the tyre - at that point it will half-come off and quickly let about 30 or 40psi out again. When you try again, the pump begins to overheat and seize up, and the valve head expands and loses more grip too as it's getting hot. So you're left with a flat tyre and a long wait until the pump's cool enough to use again. And then the whole thing repeats again and again until you're forced to ride on tyres at about 40 or 50 psi so you'll get home this year !

The cord also started shedding its black coat and was looking like it could snap after trying to deal with only 2 punctures.

A waste of money - I keep meaning to write to express my disgust at their product, which I will eventually do.

On others' recommendations, I got a Road Morph Turbo G. Tested it in the comfort of the flat on a completely flat tyre and had it up very quickly and with not much effort. It stays on the valve without slipping and gets top marks. (I also bought a CO2 inflator whilst I was waiting for the Road Morph to arrive, as I didn't want to rely solely on the Cyclaire again. So far, I've not had to use it.)

I have a Renkompressor track pump in the flat which is excellent, though the 'original' head is a bit hit and miss and is forever moving on the valve and leaking the air back out until I seem to get lucky and get it to stay on. (Friend here at work also has one and he's considering sending it back as he can never pump up his tyres with it because it won't stay on).

OP
OP
mootaineer

mootaineer

Tynan said:
I knew someone would ask that, suspect my curiosity will get the better of me this weekend anyway

Best test at home with the proper daddy pump and a nice cold refreshing beer to hand, be interesting to see what pressure it/I manage

I recently bought a Lezyne high pressure pump (based on RoadcyclingUK's reviews) but luckily tested it first (with the safety of my trackpump at hand) before thinking about taking it out with me riding.
http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3120

I found that although it was well made, it's cr*p when you get nearer the higher pressures.
Considering that when you get punctures the conditions are often not ideal anyway, if I can't do it at home then it's certainly not going in my toolkit!

I hope you enjoy the beers! :biggrin:

OP
OP
mootaineer

mootaineer

goo_mason said:
I had the Cyclaire and it's an utter pain and next to useless. Will not stay on presta valves once there's about 70 or 80 psi in the tyre - at that point it will half-come off and quickly let about 30 or 40psi out again. When you try again, the pump begins to overheat and seize up, and the valve head expands and loses more grip too as it's getting hot. So you're left with a flat tyre and a long wait until the pump's cool enough to use again. And then the whole thing repeats again and again until you're forced to ride on tyres at about 40 or 50 psi so you'll get home this year !

The cord also started shedding its black coat and was looking like it could snap after trying to deal with only 2 punctures.

A waste of money - I keep meaning to write to express my disgust at their product, which I will eventually do.

Goo...
I think it was your rant that I found when I searched for "pump".
Sorry you wasted your money on the Cyclaire.
Each time I see it I'm tempted (last time I saw them selling it at the Bike Show at Earl's Court) but wasn't convinced it would get to high enough pressures.

Good pumps were so much easier to come by when I used to ride a MTB...:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
I did the planned deflation to test the mini morph today

it works very well, silly small and dinky but it does the job, very well designed and I got to 100psi without any problems at all, granted limited returns by then but person felt he could have kept going until something burst

so all good, happy here

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
goo_mason said:
I had a Cyclaire too - I didn't like it much, but mine did go to pressure each time I used it (120 psi at the time).

Compared to the Road Morph G it's bulky and heavy, and the pull cord action (of the cyclaire) used to make my hands ache, so I got rid. I didn't have the problems Goo had with his though, and it did always pump back to full pressure reliably.

Top Bottom