A few good pumps...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mootaineer

I've had a quick look through the threads...

What pumps do you carry when you ride/commute?
The best for me so far have been the Quicker Pro and one of the Topeak ones (I can't remember the name).

Right now I carry the Quicker Pro because it's a bit smaller but still gets high pressures. The pressure gauge doesn't seem to work at all so I'm constantly pumping, then pressing the tyre down to check if it's inflated enough :angry:

So for me the perfect pump would:
1) be reasonably compact (fit in a bar bag)
2) inflate to high psi/bar (not necessarily 160psi but at least able to inflate to pressures that are high enough)
3) have a hose so that I don't damage the valve stem while I'm pumping
4) have a screw-on thread so that I don't damage the valve stem when I remove the nozzle

Has anyone found the perfect pump:?:

At home I use a JoeBlow trackpump which works really well (apart from not liking the lack of screw-on thread).
The Topeak was good but I broke the plastic frame mount and it doesn't fit in my barbag where I keep all of my tools when riding :sad:

I carry a Topeak Micro Pocket Rocket on the ride, it claims it can pump to over 160psi, but touch wood since I bought it about a year ago I've never had to find out.

On the commute I've got a cheap BBB pump (BMP-14 Windwave) I've had for years I doubt it could do serious PSI and although it hasn't seen much use when it has it has never let me down. Before I had this one I had a no name pump with out a thumb clamp and found it useless so i replaced it with it.

the perfect pump for me won't fit in a bag.i had a compact blackburn one that took forever to get anywhere near a decent pressure so i bought a frame fitting blackburn which gets to pressure ( 100 psi) a lot quicker and easier.

gavintc

Guru
HLaB said:
I carry a Topeak Micro Pocket Rocket on the ride, it claims it can pump to over 160psi, but touch wood since I bought it about a year ago I've never had to find out.

On the commute I've got a cheap BBB pump (BMP-14 Windwave) I've had for years I doubt it could do serious PSI and although it hasn't seen much use when it has it has never let me down. Before I had this one I had a no name pump with out a thumb clamp and found it useless so i replaced it with it.

I am with HLaB, Topeak Pocket Rocket on my good bike, I can get it to pump a tyre up to 70psi without too much effort at the roadside. I have a cheapie slightly bigger one (no name) for my commute (it fits in my daysack). But, I have been bloomin lucky and only used it once about 500m from house in 8 months so did not worry about getting the tyre too hard.

OP
OP
mootaineer

mootaineer

HLaB: framefit would prob be a problem for me now as I carry my lock in my main triangle in one of those Abus bags that go there.
I used to carry my Topeak pump on top of the top tube but it broke one day...

John the Monkey: do you know what the difference is between the Road Morph and the Turbo Morph (apart from size)? The Turbo Morph "sounds" like it might do a better job but what's in a name?
Also...does yours have a gauge? Is the gauge worth having?
Most handpump gauges I've tried don't indicate anything that's useful.

OP
OP
mootaineer

mootaineer

mootaineer said:
HLaB: framefit would prob be a problem for me now as I carry my lock in my main triangle in one of those Abus bags that go there.
I used to carry my Topeak pump on top of the top tube but it broke one day...

Oops...that should have been for piedwagtail91, not HLaB!
I seem to be a real target for p*******s (though I haven't had any since fitting my tyre liners), so unless I can get near 6 or 7 bar (I think that was 100psi or thereabouts) it's tough going.

The worst I had was earlier this year...about 5 punctures in 2 weeks (though 2 of those were due to my wheel falling down a drain and simultaneously destroying a rim!) :laugh:

Tynan

Veteran
Topeak Mini Morph on its way to me from wiggle after a nasty valve snapping moment due to the Blackburn pump carry at present, it's nice but gets to be hard work near the end at perhaps 60/70psi and a strain not to tug on the valve

Topeak Mini Morph looks good, reviews well and people on here rate them

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
mootaineer said:
John the Monkey: do you know what the difference is between the Road Morph and the Turbo Morph (apart from size)? The Turbo Morph "sounds" like it might do a better job but what's in a name?

Sorry, no. The Road Morph reliably and easily does 120 psi (it's rated to 160, but I don't have any tyres that need more than 120) - I don't know whether "Turbo" means doing that faster, or to higher pressures...
Also...does yours have a gauge? Is the gauge worth having?
Yes - not as good a gauge as the Cyclaire's, but then the Road Morph's gauge has a better pump attached to it :laugh:
Most handpump gauges I've tried don't indicate anything that's useful.
The Road Morph's gauge reads in 30 psi increments (I don't use bar, but there is a scale for that too, just not sure what the increments are). These are indicated by numerals - between the numerals are solid bars indicating 10psi increments. It's certainly not good enough to pump to 115psi as opposed to 120, but easily good enough for continuing the ride with a fair degree of confidence.

The only thing I dislike about it really is that it doesn't mount to the side of a bottle cage (the bracket holds the pump on top of itself) so effectively you lose a cage if you mount it to the bottle bosses. The mounting kit does have a ziptie/rubber pad option that I used on my last bike that does work well though.

OP
OP
mootaineer

mootaineer

John the Monkey said:
Yes - not as good a gauge as the Cyclaire's, but then the Road Morph's gauge has a better pump attached to it :laugh:
The Road Morph's gauge reads in 30 psi increments (I don't use bar, but there is a scale for that too, just not sure what the increments are). These are indicated by numerals - between the numerals are solid bars indicating 10psi increments. It's certainly not good enough to pump to 115psi as opposed to 120, but easily good enough for continuing the ride with a fair degree of confidence.

Thanks for that.
I have thought about a Cyclaire. Sounds good in principle but I'm not sure it goes to high-enough pressures.
All this experimenting (and often getting it wrong) can be quite an expensive exercise too.
I read in another thread that the Cyclaire wasn't great...so am put off it now.

OP
OP
mootaineer

mootaineer

Tynan said:
Topeak Mini Morph on its way to me from wiggle after a nasty valve snapping moment due to the Blackburn pump carry at present, it's nice but gets to be hard work near the end at perhaps 60/70psi and a strain not to tug on the valve

Topeak Mini Morph looks good, reviews well and people on here rate them

I hadn't noticed the Mini Morph.
Let me know what you think of it when it arrives.
I'd be interested to know :laugh:

Chris James

Über Member
I have a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX. Not had to use it in anger yet (i.e. pump up from flat), but I did let some air air out from my already inflated tyres to see what it pumped like at high pressures.

It was pretty impressive as it handles road tyre pressures easily, albeit slowly like all mini pumps.

Looks nice too in all brushed aluminium. Mounts on cage but doesn't foul.

I think you wil struggle to get a high pressure pump with a flexible connector as I understood the two are incompatible.

Tynan

Veteran
mootaineer said:
I hadn't noticed the Mini Morph.
Let me know what you think of it when it arrives.
I'd be interested to know :wacko:

will do, a few on here have rated it highly, it looks excellent as long as you don;t die pumping, I mainly want to get to 100psi with something I can carry and that doesn't stress the valve

and a lot more have dissed the cyclairs, falling to bits rather quickly despite being a cracking idea

Top Bottom