England : Kent A flat (well, almost) pootle in Kent - Sun. 1st July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seeing as I'd done some LonJoG training rides before June to try and get some of the FNRttC riders more used to some hills, as a complete antidote, this is a recovery ride not just for anyone currently on LonJog, but also open to everyone else who would a gentle ride along the south coast in Kent.

A bit short notice, but it'll be Sunday 1st July, departing from Ashford International Station at 10:15. Basically head south east until we hit the coast, follow it along to Dungeness, around Lydd to Rye and then back to Ashford. 52 miles and only around 800 feet of climbing in total (honest). No hard ascents, maximum gradiant 7.5% or so. I'll post a link for the GPS route, but the profile basically looks flat as a flat thing that's been flattened by a steam roller, for most of the ride.

Lots of interesting things to look at, apart from the sea, such as PLUTO buildings, sound based early warning listeners, unusual bungalows, lighthouses, nuclear power stations, dinky little trains, pebbles, railways carriage houses, etc. Lunch stop probably at a pub in Greatstone, near Lydd.

Trains to Ashford International run from Victoria, Charing Cross and St Pancras.

Oddly enough, we will be in the area, doing the Fairies Flat 100km from Bethersden.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I really dont trust you when you say that you are doing a flat ride.. and adding almost to it, well, that just sends shivers down my spine...;)

I would like to do this, all subject to the Euros of course... nope, not the Greece bailout, but this poxy damn football thats going to cripple liver and bank balance...

Plus, I need to check how I am going to get there and theres one other thing that may come into play.

So, i shall keep my beedy eye on this and keep the thighs warmed up, just incase.. if thats okay. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Well, I don't want the Trade Descriptions people hassling me, so I felt I had to put the "almost". But it really is a pancake flat ride, apart from the slopes in and out of Ashford.

Trains from Victoria and Charing Cross take 1 hour 39 mins and 1 hour 18 mins respectively and cost £16.85 with a Network Railcard, or it's 38 minutes from St Pancras for £20.20.

Or you could cycle!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'll put myself tentatively in the frame. This was the first properly long ride I ever did nearly two years ago.

It all depends how I feel after the Southend FNRttC but if I do attend I'll be cycling down and back.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well, I don't want the Trade Descriptions people hassling me, so I felt I had to put the "almost". But it really is a pancake flat ride, apart from the slopes in and out of Ashford.

Trains from Victoria and Charing Cross take 1 hour 39 mins and 1 hour 18 mins respectively and cost £16.85 with a Network Railcard, or it's 38 minutes from St Pancras for £20.20.

Or you could cycle!

Ahhhh, i see, i see indeed, its all coming out of the woodwork now isnt it.. HAHA.

Ah, thanks. I shall bare this all in mind, merci beaucoup monsieur

Tim Hall

If I try really hard I can get from Three Bridges to Ashford and back for £19.80 for the two of us. Trying hard means forcing the national rail computer not to send us via that London. Put us down as possibles.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
A very tentative 'yes please' from me as it looks like I might have to pull out of the Southend ride on the 29th due to overbooking myself. Again.

The in-laws live in Rye so I should be able to convince himself to visit them on the Friday and Saturday and we could train it to Ashford from there on the Sunday morning.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
If I try really hard I can get from Three Bridges to Ashford and back for £19.80 for the two of us. Trying hard means forcing the national rail computer not to send us via that London. Put us down as possibles.

For anyone else in a similar predicament, if you use the Southern Railway web site*, after entering the To and From locations, clicking on more options allows you to specify it to either go via or avoid a location.

*PS Tim - you can get it for £18.30 as you'd get the Southern Railway discount.

bobcat

This is my stomping ground I'd love to join. I can verify the lack of hills, they start after Rye.

Top Bottom