England : Kent A flat (well, almost) pootle in Kent - Sun. 1st July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
When I look at your link, it points to somewhere on Station Rd towards the town centre, are we actually meeting on Newtown Rd ie the opposite side of the station from where we met a couple of years ago?

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Yes, it's the oposite side of the station from 2 years ago. The Google car didn't bother driving up the actual exit ramp, so you'll have to make do with that picture! Meet inside the terminal - there's a big cafe area.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Lots of interesting things to look at, apart from the sea, such as PLUTO buildings, sound based early warning listeners, unusual bungalows, lighthouses, nuclear power stations, dinky little trains, pebbles, railways carriage houses, etc. Lunch stop probably at a pub in Greatstone, near Lydd.

I forgot to include a Martello tower and an unusual converted water tower in the above list, as we go past those as well.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I'm still hoping to come along for this although we'll probably break off at Rye to visit the in-laws and train it back to Ashford from there. I'm at a gig in the evening and don't want to knacker myself out too much, especially as Brixton is a killer on the knees.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm still doubtful and won't know for sure until tomorrow night. Which way you going Martin and what time leaving?
Usual way through Yalding etc. Will draw the route out tonight and post it up. And depends how many people go. If I'm on my todd I'll leave my house at about 7am.

I'm on Southend tonight but determined to also be out on Sunday as it's looking a nice day to go to the seaside (as opposed to the day we went to Whitstable!!!!)

rb58

Enigma
Usual way through Yalding etc. Will draw the route out tonight and post it up. And depends how many people go. If I'm on my todd I'll leave my house at about 7am.

I'm on Southend tonight but determined to also be out on Sunday as it's looking a nice day to go to the seaside (as opposed to the day we went to Whitstable!!!!)
Okay. It would be quicker straight down the old A20 past Brands Hatch and through (or round) Maidstone at that time of day. I'll text you tomorrow evening to let you know if I'm coming and firm up where to meet. Sorry I can't be more certain - got a really busy day tomorrow.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Okay. It would be quicker straight down the old A20 past Brands Hatch and through (or round) Maidstone at that time of day. I'll text you tomorrow evening to let you know if I'm coming and firm up where to meet. Sorry I can't be more certain - got a really busy day tomorrow.
No worries. I always find the A20 a bit lumpy and quite like the run down after Yalding. I may come back on the A20 though, depends what time we get back to Ashford station.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Gentle ride, flat, seaside? I've juggled these around in my brain and they've come up with the answer ''yes please!'' I don't have the legs to cycle down with the big boys so I'll be training it from Charing Cross to Ashford International. There's a choo-choo at 8:32 which will leave me 20 minutes of faffing around time before the start. Any idea what time we're likely to be back at Ashford?

rb58

Enigma
I'm definitely out I'm afraid. Sorry Adam - I'd liked to have done this one. I shall be out for an early ride down to Yalding, but will need to turn round and head straight back to attend to a long list of chores...

Top Bottom