England : Kent A flat (well, almost) pootle in Kent - Sun. 1st July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
No Denge sound mirrors or a mention of PLUTO*?
I can imagine the wind.
*All stuff originating from a chat with User10571 during a previous visit a couple of years ago etc...and I can still imagine the wind.

Yup - all covered, as well as an extra bonus you didn't get 2 years ago, of a Martello tower.

I really should have done the ride the other way round, just to avoid the wind (although we would have had more rain). My legs really ache this morning.

My legs really ache this morning.
People keep telling me that cycling against a headwind is very similar to cycling up hills, but I have to disagree - the muscles that ache the next day are entirely different ones. Plus, I get breathless and hot going up hills, but don't in headwinds. Go figure.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
People keep telling me that cycling against a headwind is very similar to cycling up hills, but I have to disagree - the muscles that ache the next day are entirely different ones. Plus, I get breathless and hot going up hills, but don't in headwinds. Go figure.
A non-technical explanation: the wind leeches the warmth out of you leaving muscles and tendons tired, stiff and very not warmed up. I'm sure you noticed that it actually felt warmer when you were not cycling.

A little curiosity: Martin got wet on the way to Ashford whilst we were in sunshine and scudding cloudlets just 10 miles away. Then as we returned up to Ashford - which can't be higher than 50m - it became overcast and started spitting. It's astonishing how such a small rise in altitude can make such a difference.

A non-technical explanation: the wind leeches the warmth out of you leaving muscles and tendons tired, stiff and very not warmed up. I'm sure you noticed that it actually felt warmer when you were not cycling.
No, I honestly can't say I noticed that. What I was/am aware of is, I clench the handlebars more in headwinds than on hills, and apparently my arm muscles tighten more too. But the biggest noticeable difference is which muscles in my legs hurt today - more mid-quad and then towards the knees, less upper quad/hip flexor. Both knees are a bit achey today, which, even with my knee problems, hasn't happened from a long ride (with or without hills) in a very long time.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
So today the hayfever has kicked in yet again, i'm just getting up to watch the tour then i'm back in bed.

We likes to ride along the coast even in the wind, nice to meet you Bobcat

did we talk about lunch yet? usually i want seconds but that fish was just huge :heat:

Dungeness i love it there, the lighthouses the power station Thomas :smile:

thanks Adam

johntne bikemonger thanks Becs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62382682@N07/sets/72157630385221852/

Shame we didn't see you. We too went down to Dungeness from Bethersden (which completed a coast to coast for us, as we'd started from Whitstable), and cursed the wind. I didn't spot Jarman's cottage, which was disappointing, but I did see the nuclear power station! Oh - and a classic caravan.

We went up the coast to Hythe, pretty much, then across the wind along the Royal Military Canal back to Bethersden then Headcorn for the train. 105 miles or thereabouts.

We kept a lookout for you, and saw loads of cyclists, but not the familiar CCers :sad:

Thanks. But the chest infection is on the wane. It's more the hand in plaster which is inhibiting me ;D

Bitten by a pothole. No breaks,but ligament damage. Left hand in cast; right arm in sling. Forks spread to 145mm and outer chainring bent. Could be more, but I've not had a chance to inspect.

Top Bottom