A Friendly Place...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

I've been visiting CC less and less lately.

Perhaps it's increased volumes of work at work, perhaps it's a general drop in my enthusiasm for cycling in general, but lately I've struggled to keep my eye in here.

What with new users cropping up, seemingly to argue about other cycling forums, the predictability of Soapbox, the addition of the bunfight section which allows poisonous post after poisonous post, the general misery of the Commuting section and reputed receipt of malicious PMs from one user to another, I am seriously thinking about hanging up my keyboard here. :biggrin:

Feels like the atmosphere has changed.

I don't visit any other cycling forum and I got the jersey, posted my whereabouts, a pic of myself, intention to meet up etc previously but I wouldn't be inclined to do any of that in the current climate.

I consider myself to be a cyclist, unassuming, openminded, and intelligent enough to be able to argue or accept a point without resorting to insults (mostly). Just doesn't feel like that fits in here as much as, say, a few months ago.

I don't expect to be convinced to stay - far from it - just wondering if anyone else has perceived this change or is it really just me? :ohmy:

I hadn't noticed that but then again I don't look at soapbox because I don't have the time or energy for it, and the acf thread is now so long I can't be arsed reading it. The interactions I have with people on here are always quite pleasant, but I have less and less time for internet forums nowadays, unfortunately - and this is the only one I'm a member of!

Don't go Tete.

I'm in partial agreement. I like the fact that you can be open here but I wish I could avoid certain sections. I notice on yacf you can choose which boards to ignore, which is far more useful than posters.

I hardly ever go into Soapbox now and would ignore that if I could but of course it comes up in the new thread search and I think after recent reflection I would not go in Commute anymore.

The latter I never used to bother with because I don't commute but then I got sucked in once. After Magnatoms last post which I got involved in I spent a whole 30 mile ride thinking about the thread, that's sad. I also find myself being slightly more aggresive on the roads, waiting for someone to make a mistake. I thought about that just today.

I don't know if it's changed though. I think it's always been the same since when I joined, I've just become more aware of it.

I was thinking about asking Shaun if it's possible to add an 'ignore board' feature, do you think that would improve it for you?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
To some extent, I've perceived this change in myself - I'm more likely to make a throwaway comment that could be perceived as "offensive" to others (despite not being meant as such) - I guess a lot gets lost between brain and screen, losing the nuances that face-to-face contact allows.

Yes, the same old arguments may roll round in Soapbox, and the same tales of woe resound in commuting, but if they really upset you, just ignore them (easier said than done, I know!).

What ever you decide to do about Cycle Chat, I hope you continue to enjoy cycling. And for what it's worth, I think this place would be poorer for your absence.

That’s a pity Tetters and it would be a shame to lose you. Some of the areas on here (Soapbox, Commuting) simply are what they are. I agree with your assessment of them, which is why I mostly leave them alone. The current upheaval in forum land is a passing thing, it’ll settle down soon enough. Over the years I’ve found that I have times when I feel badly disillusioned with the whole thing and just want to walk away, but I always get sucked back in for one reason or another. The trick is to filter out the stuff you don’t like. Easier said than done I know, but that’s the only way really. These places are like big steaming pots of jambalaya. You just have to pick out the celery.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't know that I've noticed a change myself. That said, I've been a bit tied up in other things - work and a flurry of personal emailing and stuff which has meant I'm here less - well, but a few minutes a day, and I don't suppose anyone has noticed... Mostly I guess I've not had as much time for Soapbox, but I think I've also just reached a stage where I recognise that some discussions aren't worth having, because people are so utterly set in their views.

I wouldn't hang up your keyboard. Have a break perhaps and come back. I think any forum goes through ups and downs in terms of personal relevance, it's just a cyclical thing. If you've got better things to do, do them, but don't forget us altogether...

Surely, you can ignore a whole section? I've never, ever looked at Race, because it has no interest for me. I don't need to block it, I just don't go there.

I may have less time here sometimes, but without a few folk here (and on the old C+) this last year might not have been as bearable as it was, so I owe everyone a big thankyou for being around - even the ones I don't agree with!:ohmy:

wafflycat

Places change over time. Sometimes things are swimmingly glorious, sometimes rather fractious, sometimes in-between, sometimes funny, sometimes boring... I've found the 'ignore list' a useful feature for screening out quite a bit of stuff I've no time for in various ways, and then there's bits I rarely visit anyhow.. If you're not making use of the ignore list - try it, it's very useful!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
don't go tete, your ready wit has always (well, usually) been appreciated. just ignore the threads/forums you can't be bothered with. personally, i'm mostly in café, know how and beginners, with occasional forays into commuting and soapbox. the acf thread is just one thread, and the whole rumpus is sure to die a death any day now, so expect it to fall onto page two before long.

bear with us for now, maybe it's just the time of year, what with folk getting out on their bikes more.

if i did the buddy list thing (which i don't), you'd be on there. and i still owe you a book iirc :wacko:

Seems to me that fora are a bit like 'real life'. Sometimes they're brilliant. Sometimes OK. Sometimes a bit naff, and sometimes absolute crap (that's when I get a lot of fettling and riding in (and I've done a lot recently;)). On the other hand ... I reckon that occasionally I must be viewing with a bit of a jaundiced eye as subjects/topics/views/comments etc that I wouldn't normally ponder unduly raise my hackles somewhat ... then I tell myself ... It's only a forum you old fool - and calm returns (usually after a ride :wacko:).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just stay out of soapbox - if I ever look it's full of names of folk that don't actually post on the main forums - so they nust be here just to cause trouble, or actually have nothing constructive to say about bikes & cycling.

Commuting has got depressing - and's getting a little soapboxy due to the fighting, but that said, all the other threads are OK - cafe, technical, beginners etc.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
I may have less time here sometimes, but without a few folk here (and on the old C+) this last year might not have been as bearable as it was, so I owe everyone a big thankyou for being around - even the ones I don't agree with!:wacko:

Awww, thanks Arch! :smile: Come and give us a big hug!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
On the upside, the forum can really encourage and inspire - I had a look in Touring and have since been thinking I've got enough spares to build up a tourer and spend a week doing nowt but cycling.
See also the "Give me a kick up the backside" threads.

Top Bottom