A Friendly Place...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
I've been visiting CC less and less lately.

Perhaps it's increased volumes of work at work, perhaps it's a general drop in my enthusiasm for cycling in general, but lately I've struggled to keep my eye in here.

What with new users cropping up, seemingly to argue about other cycling forums, the predictability of Soapbox, the addition of the bunfight section which allows poisonous post after poisonous post, the general misery of the Commuting section and reputed receipt of malicious PMs from one user to another, I am seriously thinking about hanging up my keyboard here. :biggrin:

Feels like the atmosphere has changed.

I don't visit any other cycling forum and I got the jersey, posted my whereabouts, a pic of myself, intention to meet up etc previously but I wouldn't be inclined to do any of that in the current climate.

I consider myself to be a cyclist, unassuming, openminded, and intelligent enough to be able to argue or accept a point without resorting to insults (mostly). Just doesn't feel like that fits in here as much as, say, a few months ago.

I don't expect to be convinced to stay - far from it - just wondering if anyone else has perceived this change or is it really just me? :smile:

Y'wee jessie! :wacko:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I probably post more in Soapbox than on the other fora. I suppose it must look a bit grim to the occasional visitor but there is a lot of humour and camaraderie in there. The acf thread is a one off which will soon die the death. The other fora which I visit here are very friendly and cheerful. So Tete and Andywrx, I suggest that it might be worth just staying away from the bits which irritate you or better still, go into Soapbox and start a couple of threads of the kind which you would like to see there. In any event, it would be sad and IMO unnecessary if you went.

I know what you mean, Tete, but just avoid the sections/forumers that you don't like/aren't interested in.
I only really visit the caf these days, if only to be flippant, sarcastic, witty or otherwise! :biggrin:
There are a lot of good people on here to exchange comments with, and lots of fun and interesting topics to chew the cud over/laugh at.

So, once more: STAY otherwise you'll have to change your name to 'Lantern Rouge'!:wacko:

But have fun riding, that's what it's about! :smile:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I joined CC because I genuinely love my cycling and found other forums
a bit austere and snobby TBH. Here on CC I've had laugh, been given excellent advice, ride better and actually meeting with Arch and TheDoctor tomorrow(hide your elephants!).

Admittedly Soapbox and the advent of ACF Gate has coloured the forum slightly. I've done my time in Soapbox and have gone around in enough circles, slapping my own forehead to know when to leave well alone.

The politics of ACF Gate are as bizarre as they are risible and have made CC sound like a clique in a refugee camp. God knows what these two examples look like to browsing prospective forummers.

I'm with all those who say just iggy the bad eggs and stick with the all round good ones!

Staying out of the sections is easy unless you use the New Posts facility, which displays all, regardless of section. You may not realize which board you're reading until too late. Also, even some of the thread titles are a bit abrasive. That's why I was thinking of a board ignore function.

I think I understand a little of what those who are thinking of leaving mean. After my accident, I didn't post or even visit here for a long time because I just didn't feel like I would get anything out of doing it. When I finally came back, I also felt that the atmosphere had changed. For one thing, the place was way busier, and the community was different. There were people who had accrued thousands of posts in quite a short time (it took me a long time to get to that stage on C+). It's very easy to feel an outsider and to become jaded by the content of some threads.

It is what it is. For some, it's a cycling forum, for others it's a place for more general banter. If you can get something positive out of being involved on your own terms, that's all that really matters.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
It's simple tete, just do what many others have done and change your CC bookmark to the following:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3664

Then simply start reading from about 100 pages from the end (that should cover the latest posts for the day) and add til your heart's content. :biggrin:

I only visit specific fora(?) and have never thought it would be useful to be able to block others, I simply don't go there.

Soapbox can be amusing, if only to see that it is in fact possible for some people to repeat themselves ad nauseum when you thought each thread they are commenting on should have long since died...

All in all 'tis a good place, but as you can see from my post count I'm only a casual acquaintance, not like some of these keyboard whores (you know who you are!) :sad:

If you decide to leave, good luck with your life.

If you decide to go to another cycling forum, well f*ck you, you piece of rancid cat dropping, you never belonged here anyway!! :wacko::angry::smile::sad:

Chris James

Über Member
Crackle said:
Staying out of the sections is easy unless you use the New Posts facility, which displays all, regardless of section. You may not realize which board you're reading until too late. Also, even some of the thread titles are a bit abrasive. That's why I was thinking of a board ignore function.

Crackle, I only use the new post search and to be honest I don't really know what Tete is on about.

Maybe that is because I just look at the titles that interest me, whch tend to be about equipment, camping or whatever. If there is yet another thread about global warming or tv licences then I tend to avoid it.

In general I think it is easy to be too precious and to take offence at anything and everything and take your ball home if the forum isn't always exactly as you want it.

After all, it is only a forum. Its like going down the pub. There are some people you might find boorish and avoid, maybe you would prefer it if the football and not the rugby was on the telly and perhaps the guest beer is a bit cloudy. But at other times its a great craic.

If people really think that CC is rude and full of pompous loudmouths (for example) then they should try registering for UKClimbing - my other regular forum!!

By the way Tete, hopefully you'll still hang around as I have read lots of your stuff over the C+ and CC years and you are always fun and informative.

Top Bottom