A Friendly Place...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I come on here to offer advice, and participate - I won't go in soapbox 'cos it's full of folk up their arse - this is a cycling forum..... wtf do I want to add about some piece of rubbish here or there !

I won't get involved in arguments, because it's pointless - like the 'e-mail' battles you see at work - chuffin idiots....

Stick with the proper folk on 'ere !

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
I come on here to offer advice...
...and well received it is, too. Thanks for helping me out with the chain/casette replacement a while back.

jonesy

Guru
fossyant said:
I come on here to offer advice, and participate - I won't go in soapbox 'cos it's full of folk up their arse - this is a cycling forum..... wtf do I want to add about some piece of rubbish here or there !

I won't get involved in arguments, because it's pointless - like the 'e-mail' battles you see at work - chuffin idiots....

Stick with the proper folk on 'ere !

There are plenty of good fora on here, catering to a wide range of interests, so if you don't like a particular forum then why not just stay out of it? You can't complain about people starting pointless arguments if you go and start one yourself about Soapbox!

domtyler

Über Member
yenrod said:
Id like to know why people who visit here wind each other up cause when it gets serious what happens...

I feel your all able to work that out

I almost just choked on my beer when I read that. You are the biggest wind up merchant on this forum DORNEY.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
fossyant said:

Hmm. Horses for courses. No-one forces you to go there and there's no need to be gratuitously offensive - that to my mind is worse than the kind of robust debate that goes on in Soapbox (where people expect it).

To Tete - This place has changed, and it is innevitable. YACF is currently in the 'optimistic' phase that CC was last year. Then new people come, place gets bigger, less intimate, original people feel like they are losing control and that it isn't theirs anymore... even the people themselves feel like they aren't the same (which is the most disturbing thing). My only suggestions are:

1. just have a break. wait for a few weeks and see how you feel. I regularly disappear off the Internet entirely for months at at time. It's about due again soon...

2. when you come back, just behave how you want others to behave - it can make a difference for a while.

3. Don't worry.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Hmm. Horses for courses. No-one forces you to go there and there's no need to be gratuitously offensive - that to my mind is worse than the kind of robust debate that goes on in Soapbox (where people expect it).

To Tete - This place has changed, and it is innevitable. YACF is currently in the 'optimistic' phase that CC was last year. Then new people come, place gets bigger, less intimate, original people feel like they are losing control and that it isn't theirs anymore... even the people themselves feel like they aren't the same (which is the most disturbing thing). My only suggestions are:

1. just have a break. wait for a few weeks and see how you feel. I regularly disappear off the Internet entirely for months at at time. It's about due again soon...

2. when you come back, just behave how you want others to behave - it can make a difference for a while.

3. Don't worry.
You've hit the nail on the head there, FM. Some people do begin to delude themselves that the forum is their own and resent it when newcomers join and the tone of the place changes. That's when you get a mass flounce as they storm off to another forum for a couple of years, where the same thing happens all over again.

No offence to the OP, but that's just the way it is. Forums (generally) are open to all who want to join, and fresh blood will eventually leave it's mark on them. Evolution, I think they call it.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Maybe you just need a break? sometimes when you come on here a lot and see the same stuff and same arguments you kind of get all samey if you know what i mean.

go off cyling for a month and come back with a fresh head.

Maz

Guru
Admin said:
Hell yeah, even I have a bit of time off from CC now and then. ;)
Is that when you unplug this server to plug the kettle in for a cuppa?
What do you IT bods call it? An 'unscheduled outage'? ;)

col

Legendary Member
I echo what others have said,just take a break,and look at only things that grab your interest,iv been pulled into chats myself,and learned the way of the forum because of it,but hey,its just banter at the end of the day,and like has been said,have fun.;)

longers

Legendary Member
If you're going to go then please bring back Spidey.

If you are going to go then please come back later.

barq

Firstly I think forums are cyclical and secondly how I myself feel about them varies with time. So what sometimes seems friendly and close knit can from other perspectives seem cliquey. Robust argument and in-jokes can seem bad tempered and pedantic. Point-by-point deconstruction of arguments can be fascinating, hilarious, aggressive or plain boring depending on your perspective.

I recently joined another forum (non-bike related) for some technical advice and got the online kicking of my life for being a know-nothing numpty - so I came scampering back here! :smile:

Anyway Tete, I hope you don't go - or if you do then make it a temporary holiday rather than permanent.

Top Bottom