A Friendly Place...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Hmm.. I think a good way of putting it might be, it's a "cyclists' forum" rather than a "cycling forum". There are probably only one or two people on here who post advice that singularly and on its own merit I would trust absolutely to the letter. That's not to say there aren't lots of people who weigh in with either confirmations of what I wanted to hear which is probably right for me, or what in its collective form makes sense generally, or stuff that gets the message through even if I have to apply my own interpretation to it...

Again good points,but as a commuter cyclist,i dont just come on here to read or chat a bout commuting,as,you may have noticed,some have a very different riding style to mine,of which i dont get any grief on the roads ,they do.I did origionally ask begginers questions,when i first joined,but found there to be more than that on here,and kept me coming back,out of interest,or just a laugh or debating something someone said that i dissagreed with.The thread you link to is i think a good example of the humour on here,sometimes we find it funny ,sometimes not,but that s the point,there is alsorts going on all the time,its not just rigidly cycling based.

bonj2

col said:
Again good points,but as a commuter cyclist,i dont just come on here to read or chat a bout commuting,as,you may have noticed,some have a very different riding style to mine,of which i dont get any grief on the roads ,they do.I did origionally ask begginers questions,when i first joined,but found there to be more than that on here,and kept me coming back,out of interest,or just a laugh or debating something someone said that i dissagreed with.The thread you link to is i think a good example of the humour on here,sometimes we find it funny ,sometimes not,but that s the point,there is alsorts going on all the time,its not just rigidly cycling based.

but that's the point of splitting out into separate forums. know how, accessories SHOULD be rigidly cycling based. 'Chat' and 'soapbox' should allow humour.

edit: oh that post WAS in 'chat'. Oh arse. there goes that argument :eek:

col

Legendary Member
bonj said:
but that's the point of splitting out into separate forums. know how, accessories SHOULD be rigidly cycling based. 'Chat' and 'soapbox' should allow humour.

edit: oh that post WAS in 'chat'. Oh arse. there goes that argument :biggrin:

:eek:

bonj2

domtyler said:
If you do leave, can I have your bikes and your jersey?

Can I have your bikes anyway, whether you leave or not? :eek: actually no on second thought i would probably hate them. :biggrin:

redcogs

Guru
Its disturbing to consider that any individual is feeling jaded enough to leave the forum, but perhaps a bit of time out will help tete?

my pattern has been that of the interrupted attendee - sometimes coming regular to contribute, then dropping off for a period. Its a rhythm that reflects both mood and season - sometimes feeling a bit lower than par and reluctant to engage for reasons various, then there is spring and summer and the bike and other pursuits which win more frequently than pc.

All in all though, i quite enjoy the general mood of the forum. Soapbox has been my main area of input, and i like to think that i enjoy convivial and reciprocal cyber relations with quite a few people there. Lately i've ventured further, finding tour and cafe to be similarly stimulating and welcoming, and, the big plus, offering good and practical help and advice.

i can't imagine a life which didn't involve some forum involvement. And i would discourage anyone from leaving CC permanently.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Chuffy said:
No, no, no, no. It's not about adopting a persona. It's about recognising that the 'you' online will be a variation of the fleshy 'you'. Nothing artificial, but definitely different.

Chuffy's hit the nail on the head. We all have slight variations of ourselves for different circumstances - work, friends,maybe for different groups of friends, family, and online. And you often don't want those separate groups geting too mixed up. It's difficult when the worlds collide...

Chuffy said:
Maybe I do think about this kind of stuff too much, but that's part of the joy of the internet. It allows you to review conversations, interactions and relationships in ways that we simply couldn't before.

Completely agree. There's no...barriers, I suppose. The anonymity gives people the freedom to be more open, more honest, and to bring out parts of their personality they might keep a bit more hidden in real life. Larger than life, if you like.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Internet fora are useful if you have a technical problem and you want to know how other people have solved it. I have learned a lot from belonging to a Land Rover forum and a DIY forum, I have found out fascinating facts from a local history forum, made a couple of friends with whom I correspond occasionally, even had a beer with a couple of people; one of them in South Africa. (Must admit thought that both turned out to be pretty boring opinionated folk - what does that say about me, eh?)

However if all you want to do is chat and display your intellect, your reasoning ability and your impeccably PC credentials then a forum like this amounts to not much more than a pub with no beer where people go to out-smart each other. That's why it becomes boring after a year or so.

yenrod

Kirstie said:
bonj - i'm another one who hasn't a clue what acf means.
actually, because if the proliferation of posts, angry ranting etc etc I was thinking its starting to feel like a 'proper' internet forum now...and hence better...

You spilt my pint :blush: :laugh:

B) :ohmy: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

purpleR

Guru
TheDoctor said:
:laugh: I don't understand...

Seinfeld reference... dimly remembered but I think Elaine had asked Susan out for a meal and George's friends were getting too close to his girlfriend for comfort. Cue George yelling, "Worlds are colliding, Jerry, worlds are COLLIDING!"

:blush:

Ah Seinfeld... happy days... off to trawl youtube for a clip B)

Top Bottom