A Gentlemans Rudge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yep it's rare to find a bike with them correctly installed, most people just keep winding the nut up til they're far too tight.

Not tried the other side yet

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had an hour and half in the garage this morning .

This is what I am up against .

IMG_20171008_061204873_HDR.jpg

Chain case removable once I find the split link .

IMG_20171008_061218627.jpg

Rear hub after a quick scrape and wipe around with a wet wipe to find the date code.

IMG_20171008_061230558.jpg

The bottom bracket shell area after removing the first layer of grime .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just managed to find time to get the bike outside to look at the frame number and I think it's 265396R

IMG_20171008_114851415_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171008_114857047_HDR.jpg

The rear rim is getting there after this morning's session , some time with some wire wool would help .

IMG_20171008_114918797_HDR.jpg

The old Dunlop tyre on the front has inflate HARD as it's pressure rating.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
61 years old.....its nearly a pensioner, I love to see older bikes still being used

Its not in use yet but hopefully will be having a ride around the cul de sac once the chain and crank go back on later this week , so i can decide then to do anymore work on it or sell as a project

simongt

Guru
Admire the individuality of cycle builders back in the day; in this case the Rudge hand symbol incorporated into the chainwheel. :thumbsup:
Had a Rudge Clubman once handed down from my big bro when he went into the Navy. But this was a post Raleigh takeover model.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A bit more progress this morning , on the work stand we now have 3 gears so hopefully they will still be there on the road .

Had to improvise a funnel to fit the oil port so I could put some fresh oil in the hub .

IMG_20171010_055402854.jpg
IMG_20171010_055414673_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171010_061323212_HDR.jpg

And then pulled the headset down and left as much of it as I could soaking in paraffin to help soften the crusty residue before I clean and rebuild with some fresh grease later.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's coming on. The chroming was done properly in those days with a copper base layer so it should have lasted, especially when it was protected by all that grime.
It's the same year as my Scot.
I was just wondering if the nuts and bolts were Whitworth sizes?

Yeah we are getting there slowly , i think the fun will start when i start to strip the bottom bracket down :smile:

Spanners used so far have all been from my selection of old bike related spanners that i have picked up over years although i have used an 11mm or 7/16th on some of the nuts i have undone .

Very true re the chroming being ok just a shame that the crank has lost it although being an enclosed one i am not sure it was chromed to start with , and yes its the same age as your Scot which is amazing to think they are 50+ years old and still capable of being used .

Mine will never win a concurs award but as long as i can get it mobile and useable that is my aim , i do have a nice set of vintage 22.2mm dia drop bars i might drop on and see if they feel right or just keep them for a more worthy cause .

Top Bottom