A Gentlemans Rudge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
10.7 commuting miles today with no issues , even managed a couple of cycle path scalps .

IMG_20171024_170527868_HDR.jpg

Even had time to go and find a gate .

simongt

Guru
Tyre and tube now replaced
Ah, but did you go full period and seek out tubes with Wood's valves - ? ^_^

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just gone in the garage to do some work on my Carlton and guess what the rear tyre is flat again , so had to sort that out instead :angry:

The cycle path's i use are strewn with glass and hedge trimmings so hardly surprising

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Third day of commuting :angry:

IMG_20171025_145244721.jpg

And the third p fairy visit no sharp edges on wheel no signs of damage to the tyre strange indentation on tube around the leaking area so replaced tube and refitted so will see

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
:huh: They're fairly easy to find on this side of the fens, which is good as they're brilliant.

Must admit my local bike shop stocks them as well , but i bet Halfords and many other bike shops wouldn't know what they are

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Must admit my local bike shop stocks them as well , but i bet Halfords and many other bike shops wouldn't know what they are
Half odds don't even stock any 26x1⅜ here, despite Bobbin and others still making new bikes that use them. Even other car spares chains like Wilco Fast Fit and the now- closed Motor World stocked them.

simongt

Guru
They're fairly easy to find on this side of the fens, which is good as they're brilliant.
As I recall, the last time I used Wood's valves, they were 'one piece' as oppose to the original types where you had to periodically replace the wee length of rubber covering the inner valve hole.

mjr

As I recall, the last time I used Wood's valves, they were 'one piece' as oppose to the original types where you had to periodically replace the wee length of rubber covering the inner valve hole.
Yes, most Woods valves use a captive ball bearing now, with air pressure holding it tight against its cups until air pressure gets high enough to open it, like this diagram:
350px-Fietsventiel_met_afsluiter.svg.png

That flange on the neck pushes against a rubber washer inside the top of the collar which is normally screwed down tight unless you want to deflate it:
328px-Dunlop_valve.jpg

(pic by SCEhardt, CC-by-SA)

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yes, most Woods valves use a captive ball bearing now, with air pressure holding it tight against its cups until air pressure gets high enough to open it, like this diagram:
View attachment 381404
That flange on the neck pushes against a rubber washer inside the top of the collar which is normally screwed down tight unless you want to deflate it:
View attachment 381405
(pic by SCEhardt, CC-by-SA)

They original ones fitted had the rubber tail but that had long persihsed

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They original ones fitted had the rubber tail but that had long persihsed
I think all 'Woods' valves had the 'ball-bearing' and rubber ring and the tube was like a 2nd line of defence/bodge for when the rubber 'O' ring failed, I certainly remember 'Woods' valves without the tube (although it may have 'shot off' and been inside the inner tube)

mjr

I think all 'Woods' valves had the 'ball-bearing' and rubber ring and the tube was like a 2nd line of defence/bodge for when the rubber 'O' ring failed, I certainly remember 'Woods' valves without the tube (although it may have 'shot off' and been inside the inner tube)
Here's a diagram of how the classic rubber tube design worked, from the same source:
350px-Fietsventiel_met_ventielslang.svg.png

As you can see, it has no balls and the rubber is primary prevention of accidental emissions.

Top Bottom