A Gentlemans Rudge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SF959

Regular
Following your posts about your Rudge with interest.
Love the bike and your process of overhauling it to make it roadworthy.
Will help me with maintenance to my old Raleigh.
Thank you.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Following your posts about your Rudge with interest.
Love the bike and your process of overhauling it to make it roadworthy.
Will help me with maintenance to my old Raleigh.
Thank you.

Its my second dabble in 3 speed bikes this was my first My 50's Raleigh Roadster and i enjoy that one a lot hence this one

Always Cross

Veteran
I got one of these that someone rescued out of the skip. I paid £25 for it it came with a Sturmey Archer 4 speed Dynamo hub on the back. I changed the chain wheel to a 36 so i’M riding in top all the time and have 3 gears to go down to for the hill. The original saddle was missing and has a gel saddle on now. I had a couple of Dynamo lights so fitted them surprised the Dynamo was still working. I haven’t cleaned it and it’s a bit rusty but I use it everyday commuting. I’ve done a 55 mile ride on it with no problem. I look really regal on it. The chain case I had on it split in half to get it off so no need to split the chain. I have 2 bikes and 1 trike. The trike and Rudge are the ones that puts a smile on my face when I ride them.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I,ve got the purple pump to go with your bike if you want it?

Thanks for the offer will give it some thought .

Had a bit of time tonight cleaning and refitting the headset along with some new grease and its smooth as butter now and had another 5 laps of the cul de sac

Next job is to have a look at the bottom bracket and see what comes undone or not

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Progress slowed this morning as both bottom bracket cups refused to budge so that job will go to my local bike shop to do .

So this morning i stripped the rear caliper down and cleaned the sticky residue of and rebuilt it and then replaced the original looking pads with some modern 60 mm myb / v brake ones that will helpfully help with the retardation .

Still need to decide what to do with the guards either leave as is or rub them down and apply some hammerite

IMG_20171011_060810044.jpg

IMG_20171011_060800902_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom