1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good LCD tv please

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 23 Jun 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

The old CRT exploded last night. I've just been into Richer Sounds, which I love, to look at the alternatives.

We really don't want the tv to be the focal point of the room, so 26" is enough, though if I found a great deal on a 32" then I'd be interested.

Any recommendations? Sony and Phillips are looking good (and cheap) at the moment. The sales guy asid that LG are also good, but I'm put off them by an exploding LG mocrowave we had a few years ago.

2. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

The new LG and Panasonic ones are frankly scary (which richer sounds don't seem to sell btw). Wasn't so quite impressed with the new range of samsungs. The LG ones are a bit funny price wise, some places have been extremely aggressive in their pricings of the LG plasmas relative to the new LCDs. Don't know if this is still going on, don't know why it was going on!

You're much less likely to get a sales price on a 26" than a 32". Maybe you'd see some of the older bravias knocking around at 26" with a price cut.

3. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I notice that you did not title your thread, best LCD TV?:biggrin:

4. marinyork

Richer sounds price on the panasonic TX32LMD70 isn't too bad. Shame they don't do the LXD but on the other panel. Based on what richer sounds sell I'd go with the panny at £399.95 as I think that's quite a good price for that.

5. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

The German consumer mag (equivalent of Which) did a big market survey and said that only Phillips and Samsung had got the screens properly sorted out so that you don't get that odd effect when things are moving. As it happened I had already bought a Phillips and it is fine.

6. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

With a screen as small as 32" I doubt you'd have many problems with LCD artifacts anyway, even on a cheap one.

7. marinyork

Football on ITV4 (as was the case recently and the only game that one was shown on)? :smile::biggrin::smile:

8. Mort

I think I understand what you mean, but the bit rate on ITV4 (by satellite anyway) is appalingly low. You wouldn't want to use it as a yardstick of screen quality if you're trying to compare.

9. We've got a 28" Toshiba LCD telly and it's pretty good. We're pleased with it anyway...I'd love to tell you the model number but I've just been to have a look and it's nowhere to be seen on it.

10. marinyork

No I know, it makes ITV1 look good and the bitrate on ITV4 on all platforms is appalling. It's not necessarily unrealistic for ordinary use. If one has freeview then a lot of the ITV and C4 channels are on low bitrates and res. I think what irked people about that particular game was the feeds for euro2008 seemed particularly good and this even came out on the ITV HD stream that has such new codecs and equipment. 26" isn't a bad size but like I've said before nearly all the offers are on 32" and above :smile:. A lot of the worst artifacts on digital tv are where the provider has decided to have a play around with it for a laugh and some tvs can cope and others can't.

11. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Thanks. Please keep talking.

There's a Phillips 26" in RS, and a 26" Bravia for £350.

The wfie is going to say 26".

12. Mort

Mr Paul, you may well kick yourself in a year or so if you want to take advantage of the free HD channels available now (and more in the near future). The picture quality can be stunning, but you simply won't be able to take advantage on a 26" set. Remember that a 32" LCD takes up almost no room compared with a 32" CRT (or even a 28" CRT) - you don't need a ruddy great tube behind it, so it fits far better than you think - even in a small room. Ideally, go for a 37" :smile:

13. marinyork

On the size thing the borders have got smaller the last couple of years. My parents LCD and my mate's old samsung and a lot of early adopters had quite big borders on but the fad now seems to have really skimpy borders and put the electronics further down and move the connections around to saner places. So a 32" isn't probably quite as big as it was a while ago.

Don't know about the philips. Um,um, um the sony 3020 is a funny one I'm not convinced I thought it seemed a bit bland like a couple of people on avforums though. The others bravias at richer sounds are 369 and 399 but they are only the S range. Here I'm really guessing a budget of £400.

If we're talking larger though... :smile:

14. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

If you can get a 37" to fit, and you can afford it, buy a Panasonic 37" plasma as the picture quality is infinitely better than any LCD.

15. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

That's it though, we can't afford it. Budget is £400, and that blows my new bike shed fund.