A good LCD tv please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The new LG and Panasonic ones are frankly scary (which richer sounds don't seem to sell btw). Wasn't so quite impressed with the new range of samsungs. The LG ones are a bit funny price wise, some places have been extremely aggressive in their pricings of the LG plasmas relative to the new LCDs. Don't know if this is still going on, don't know why it was going on!

You're much less likely to get a sales price on a 26" than a 32". Maybe you'd see some of the older bravias knocking around at 26" with a price cut.

marinyork

Richer sounds price on the panasonic TX32LMD70 isn't too bad. Shame they don't do the LXD but on the other panel. Based on what richer sounds sell I'd go with the panny at £399.95 as I think that's quite a good price for that.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The German consumer mag (equivalent of Which) did a big market survey and said that only Phillips and Samsung had got the screens properly sorted out so that you don't get that odd effect when things are moving. As it happened I had already bought a Phillips and it is fine.

marinyork

Uncle Mort said:
With a screen as small as 32" I doubt you'd have many problems with LCD artifacts anyway, even on a cheap one.

Football on ITV4 (as was the case recently and the only game that one was shown on)? :smile::biggrin::smile:

marinyork

No I know, it makes ITV1 look good and the bitrate on ITV4 on all platforms is appalling. It's not necessarily unrealistic for ordinary use. If one has freeview then a lot of the ITV and C4 channels are on low bitrates and res. I think what irked people about that particular game was the feeds for euro2008 seemed particularly good and this even came out on the ITV HD stream that has such new codecs and equipment. 26" isn't a bad size but like I've said before nearly all the offers are on 32" and above :smile:. A lot of the worst artifacts on digital tv are where the provider has decided to have a play around with it for a laugh and some tvs can cope and others can't.

marinyork

Uncle Mort said:
Mr Paul, you may well kick yourself in a year or so if you want to take advantage of the free HD channels available now (and more in the near future). The picture quality can be stunning, but you simply won't be able to take advantage on a 26" set. Remember that a 32" LCD takes up almost no room compared with a 32" CRT (or even a 28" CRT) - you don't need a ruddy great tube behind it, so it fits far better than you think - even in a small room. Ideally, go for a 37" :angry:

On the size thing the borders have got smaller the last couple of years. My parents LCD and my mate's old samsung and a lot of early adopters had quite big borders on but the fad now seems to have really skimpy borders and put the electronics further down and move the connections around to saner places. So a 32" isn't probably quite as big as it was a while ago.

Don't know about the philips. Um,um, um the sony 3020 is a funny one I'm not convinced I thought it seemed a bit bland like a couple of people on avforums though. The others bravias at richer sounds are 369 and 399 but they are only the S range. Here I'm really guessing a budget of £400.

If we're talking larger though... :smile:

Uncle Mort said:
Mr Paul, you may well kick yourself in a year or so if you want to take advantage of the free HD channels available now (and more in the near future). The picture quality can be stunning, but you simply won't be able to take advantage on a 26" set. Remember that a 32" LCD takes up almost no room compared with a 32" CRT (or even a 28" CRT) - you don't need a ruddy great tube behind it, so it fits far better than you think - even in a small room. Ideally, go for a 37" :smile:

If you can get a 37" to fit, and you can afford it, buy a Panasonic 37" plasma as the picture quality is infinitely better than any LCD.

marinyork

Yeah I think it's a decent buy to budget.

That's some beefy back on it I'd imagine at 25"! The criticism of the panasonic is it isn't the LXD a sister model which has 100Hz etc. It's not the new range of panasonics either but they are a lot, lot, lot and with the new LGs not everywhere sells them or even has them in stock. Even some nutter trying to sell you a price cut plasma like some of the silly deals I've seen would be a lot more. You know the S bravias (second type up) and the 3020 are vaguely around that price elsewhere, depends whether you think they are any good, I'd get an X or W but they are a lot more too. The S series and V series shift a lot in the shops of 32,37,42. These tvs aren't 1080p either but that wouldn't matter too much on a 26" and you're not going to get a 1080p for £300-400 or anywhere near apart from these freak hybrid resolutions. You're wife's presumably got the idea that £300-400 budget and that sort of size so with that sort criteria I'd go for something like that if I was buying now.

I'd be happy with most of the panasonic range that people were so positive about last year. The new ones have only just come out and are usually £1000-1500 in the larger sizes, regardless of brand. You're already a generation up on the LCDs people I know have bought.

domtyler

Über Member
You need to be a bit more... forceful with the missus User. She clearly has you well under control if she is limiting you to 28 inches. Personally I would recommend turning the front room into some kind of boyhood dream shag pad with a massive 60 inch panel, Sky HD, PS3, the lot. Remember the more remotes you got, the easier it is to palm her off.

marinyork

The sharp's a good tv but it's overpriced thesedays (RS is still cheaper than some other places) and it's gone for less in the past. Most importantly the extra £100 starts to go wildly into the realm of better bargains elsewhere for more size/100hz/1080p/panel bitage/. If you're going to annoy the wife by spending more your might as well go the whole hog :smile:. It's also a bit less clear cut.

Actually now that you mention it Dom, a lot of tvs have 3 or 4 HDMIs for a reason :biggrin:

Top Bottom