A good Multi-Tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iwchris

Hi guys, can anybody recommend a really good multitool, one that does carry a chain splitter that actually works, there does seem to be so many out there it is difficult to make a decision without knowing somebody that has used one.

Chris

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I use the Topeak Hexus II

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Topeak here too.
its a good multi tool. my only quibble is that the chain tool requires a hex key to turn it. naturally they're both attached to the same tool making this task somewhat impossible.

Don't buy a chain tool built in to an Allan key nest, it just makes them/it more cumbersome to use.

Buy these:

Topeak X-Tool. A trusty companion.

Park chain tool. Workshop quality in a portable tool.
7843.jpg

And you will later PM me to thank me for the great advice.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Riding older bikes, modern multi-tools have too many parts that are of no use to me, so I have nothing to recommend.

However, I can second Mickle's advice (which is borne out by Melonfish's post above).

If your budget doesn't stretch to Park, this chain tool is recommended: it is light, it is compact (the arm folds into the key) and it works.

And it costs a fiver.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Topeak Alien is a good "everything" tool. Heavy though.
For modern road bikes the Hexus II seems the best bet, although I do wish it included an 8mm spanner for mudguard nuts.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ive got a Lezyne one i love, with chain tool on it :whistle: although i had no problems using it. I think its normally about £40, only bought it because it had a huge discount at the time, but its probably worth the full price and feels incredibly well built :smile:

There are a few screws that are too recessed to use multitool allen keys/screwdrivers on my bike accessories, which might be something to keep in mind.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Topeak here too.
its a good multi tool. my only quibble is that the chain tool requires a hex key to turn it. naturally they're both attached to the same tool making this task somewhat impossible.

If it's a Hexus 2 like mine the hex key for the chain tool is built into one of the black tyre levers that come off the side of it so you do not need to bring another hex key with you. The chain tool works pretty good on it too. Great piece of kit.

djb1971

Legendary Member
One of the handiest tools I've got is the topeak ratchet rocket lite, it's replaced my Alien!

You can get one with chain tool but I always use a workshop chain tool so the lite version is fine for me.

OP
OP
iwchris

iwchris

Thanks all for the great response, I went for the Hexus 11 in the end as it seems to be so popular, and on Amazon the feedback is good for it, hope I never have to use the chain splitter out in he field, but if I do then I'm prepared ..........now I just have to get the correct join links!!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
If it's a Hexus 2 like mine the hex key for the chain tool is built into one of the black tyre levers that come off the side of it so you do not need to bring another hex key with you. The chain tool works pretty good on it too. Great piece of kit.
HAH! now you've said that i've just totally realised about that tyre lever and what its for... /Facepalm
however it is indeed a good chain removal tool, i've used it already and it works well.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
HAH! now you've said that i've just totally realised about that tyre lever and what its for... /Facepalm
however it is indeed a good chain removal tool, i've used it already and it works well.

:biggrin: That's us 'practical' folk for you, no need to read the instructions

I like the Hexus II, I have three of them as I'm too lazy to move saddlepacks between bikes. I do have a Park tools chainsplitter as well but that stays in the garage. If I was going on a long tour it might come with me but for day to day riding I feel the Hexus, and some powerlinks with a bit of spare chain, are good enough.

Top Bottom