A good tip on the GCN YouTube channel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
It was an if everything goes wrong how to still get home video, it also covered a detonated rear derailleur, if the gear cable snapped, and something else I can't remember.
I did however put the knotted inner tube in my memory as two days previous I had the misfortune of using all my spare tubes on one ride across the New Forest (away from shops). The last tube was used when I was still 5 miles from home.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
BTW, I would just like to say that I don't think this is a "good tip". Maybe if you were crossing a desert with no houses and little traffic, no mobile signal and you are running low on water, then yes, having a way to eke a few more miles out of your last shredded tube might make sense .

Some of us do, you know.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It's not an ideal solution by any means but if I were to be unfortunate enough to be marooned in the middle of deepest darkest Wales I would definitely resort to giving it a try because I would have nothing to lose ( apart from a cheap inner tube from Wilko,s.

Lozz360

Veteran
It's rubber it will stretch:okay:
Yes, I sort of worked that out for myself. I just thought that tying a loop in a continuous tube would be stretching it too far. I maybe wrong of course. Not tried it myself. Others have since said the presenter cut the tube at the puncture and tied the two ends together. I must of dozed off at that point and missed it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I didn't misunderstand it. Who forgets to pack an inner tube but remembers to pack a multi tool, pump/CO2 inflator, and tyre levers? It just seems unlikely someone would have all that and not a tube or patches. Its like dragging a picnic hamper and all the trimmings around, but not the sandwiches.
Most of the time i carry patches and few tools which fit in a bag not much bigger than a credit card. There used to be a small multi tool in there too but it was crap so i removed it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't misunderstand it. Who forgets to pack an inner tube but remembers to pack a multi tool, pump/CO2 inflator, and tyre levers? It just seems unlikely someone would have all that and not a tube or patches. Its like dragging a picnic hamper and all the trimmings around, but not the sandwiches.
[Assuming that you have not chosen one of those horribly difficult tyre/rim combinations ...] You don't need the tyre levers. A big, strong guy like you could easily get a tyre on or off with his bare hands! I can do it, and I am not particularly strong. :okay:

What if the puncture is near the valve?

Then you go on to GCN bodge #4.

Use the tube from your other tyre.

:whistle:

Graham

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then you go on to GCN bodge #4.

Use the tube from your other tyre.

:whistle:

Graham
That is #4.b, for when there is a rear puncture.

#4.a is for front wheel punctures and is known as the 'Sagan bodge'. He has made a video illustrating the technique ...

(He also illustrates the advanced 'hands-free' version which is useful when you need to make a call to explain why you will be late back. :whistle:)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yes, I sort of worked that out for myself. I just thought that tying a loop in a continuous tube would be stretching it too far. I maybe wrong of course. Not tried it myself. Others have since said the presenter cut the tube at the puncture and tied the two ends together. I must of dozed off at that point and missed it.
You will never know till you try it.:laugh:

Top Bottom