A good tip on the GCN YouTube channel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
I was watching one of the GCN clips on YouTube the other day and they were talking about some quick bodges you can do to your bike if it all goes horribly wrong whilst out on a ride, that will get you home. I found the puncture repair one good. If you get a puncture and you've no spare tube for whatever reason take it out of the tyre and tie a tight knot in the tube were the puncture is. According to these guys it will seal the offending puncture and will get you back on the road again saving you that long walk home. I suppose you've got nothing to lose if you're marooned in the middle of nowhere without a spare tube .

Slick

Guru
They were kidding though, right?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
They were kidding though, right?
I don't know to be honest buddy. When I was watching it, the first thing I thought about was that there would be a flat spot on your tyre where the tubes been tied but I think the presenter later said it's hardly noticeable.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Probably does the job, but I imagine trying a small enough knot in a inner tube to cover the offending area whilst still fitting back in the tyre might take considerable dexterity.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've never had to do it, but if at any point in the future* I'd used my 2 tubes, and all the patches in my kit, and I was still somehow ten miles walk from home, in cleats, I might just try it.

* Having got two thirds of the way through my life, and having not got near to such a scenario, this point in my future will probably never happen.

What GCN didn't show was, how do you tie a knot in continuous ring (the tube) without putting a loop in it and thereby making it too small to go back on the rim?

View: https://youtu.be/dnAv5_r-qNQ

Top Bottom