A good tip on the GCN YouTube channel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did anyone actually watch the video? He cuts the tube in half at the puncture, and then knots each end.
He does two different fixes. Cutting is for a big hole in the tire.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 09.22.07.jpg

That's quite possibly one of the barmiest tips I've ever seen. Good luck in making it work when you've got an actual puncture and it isn't conveniently on the opposite side to the valve.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thinking about that, a couple of cable ties pulled really tight either side of the hole would probably do the job too. Mind you, if you're the type to forget a spare tube you'd never remember to take the cable ties with you.

Though you could always use your socks as emergency tourniquets. Which wouldn't be much good if your pump was sitting on your workbench next to the tube and the cable ties.

Drago

Legendary Member
What does one cut the tube with? Surely a spare tube velcro'd under the seat is not more hardship to carry than a knife or scissors?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What does one cut the tube with? Surely a spare tube velcro'd under the seat is not more hardship to carry than a knife or scissors?
maybe you misunderstand the concept of 'if you have no spare'? some people carry a multi-tool which might have a blade. As for a hole near the valve... in my experience, a repair kit isn't much use either.

Drago

Legendary Member
I didn't misunderstand it. Who forgets to pack an inner tube but remembers to pack a multi tool, pump/CO2 inflator, and tyre levers? It just seems unlikely someone would have all that and not a tube or patches. Its like dragging a picnic hamper and all the trimmings around, but not the sandwiches.

BTW, I would just like to say that I don't think this is a "good tip". Maybe if you were crossing a desert with no houses and little traffic, no mobile signal and you are running low on water, then yes, having a way to eke a few more miles out of your last shredded tube might make sense . But in the uk, take an extra tube, and some scab patches, then the chances of 2 of the 3 tubes being damaged beyond repair is so vanishingly small that it would happen less than once in a lifetime (especially if you take the sensible precaution of stopping at the next LBS/Halfords/Wilco etc to replace the first destroyed tube if it happens while the shops are open). In that extreme event, phone for help, call a minicab or Uber, walk to the nearest town, find shelter in a bus stop until morning, knock on a door, flag down a car.

Top Bottom