A good used road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goose11

Unfortunately this week I have had my name added to the long list of cyclists who’ve had their bike stolen. Very disappointed, obviously – stolen whilst locked up, with just the wheels left. No useful CCTV so it’s a goner.

But every cloud…I now need to get a new bike.

I’d really appreciate people’s opinions on where I should be shopping around. I’m based in London and happy to buy online. I’ve had a look, but the buying threads on here seem to be for all gear, and focusing on new, not used.

The previous bike was a Specialized Allez 09, bottom of the range with a Sora gearset etc etc. I’m keen to upgrade a little on spec next time around. As this is an unplanned cost I don’t really want to go over £400-450. I know this isn’t very much so am looking to buy used, maybe something a year or so old that’s lighter, better gears and hopefully something considerably better suited to climb.
I’ve been on Craigslist, Gumtree etc to see what there is and seen a couple of bikes that look like absolute bargains, but have been too late to buy.

Could anyone offer some pointers to where else I should be keeping an eye out online or good second hand bike shops? Anything that you have seen that could suit?

Thanks all - hoping to be back on the wheels soon.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
ebay + homework + patience = bargain.

Also, a *major* consideration if you hang out somehwre like London (as you've dicovered) - security. You can get yourself a cracking 531 framed beastie for well under £100, then a) it's much less likely to attract scrotes, and :becool: if it does get nicked, it's not that big a deal.

OP
OP
G

goose11

[quote name='swee'pea99']Something like this, just eg.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion.

I may well go down this road and get something for the commute, but I'd still be keen for a slightly newer bike for the weekends...

Top Bottom