A Half Century Challenge hilly forum ride (Todmorden/Hebden Bridge), Sat 28th Apr 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My aim is to get to Hebden Bridge in good time on the 28th.

I'm particularly looking forward to a chat with Carrie, having not seen her since her nasty crash.

Hopefully there will be time to slurp a cup of coffee.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My aim is to get to Hebden Bridge in good time on the 28th.

I'm particularly looking forward to a chat with Carrie, having not seen her since her nasty crash.

Hopefully there will be time to slurp a cup of coffee.
She likes nattering and coffee so I'll tell her to try to meet you there at about 09:30! Brian and I (plus any last minute additions to our tiny list of riders) will be arriving at around 09:55 with a view to setting off at 10:00, so that would give you 25-30 minutes.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I might be a possible Colin, the boss is not working that weekend so I could get a pass out ! It will be good to ride over your way again and get Cragg Vale under the wheels of the Spa Tourer
That would be good. If you are coming, would you cycle here, and if so by what route?

By coincidence, I just got in touch with you on the 'roof rack' thread!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm on the list !!! See you next week for cake and some cycling in between
Excellent news! :smile:

Still plenty of room for more riders .... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Im interested in doing this one day when I've retuned my cycling legs.
But only if you promise never to lead us up Doghouse Lane. Did it once with the bike fully loaded. It was the single most sadistic painful thing I've ever done in my entire life. Never again.

View attachment 403025
I rode up there today but took the (slightly) easier road up from the back of the park - Ewood Ln/Sigget Ln. It started raining when I got to where your bike is in that photo and I got damp and cold so I dropped down the Bacup Rd and went home. Typically, as soon as I had packed the bike away the sun came back out!

Depending on what time I meet Brian at Littleborough,i am planning on giving at least two hours to get over there so 7am-7.30am is the target time
We aim to set off from Tod at 09:30 so you will want to be leaving Littleborough not long after 09:00.

Apologies for delay in posting, We've been away for the weekend at Whitby/Scarborough. Managed to get 42 miles (21 x 2) incredibly scenic and largely off road cycling done using the route between the 2 towns. It's known as 'The Cinder Track' and is the former railway track route that closed in1965 and was imaginatively acquired by Scarborough Council for recreational use. It now forms part of Sustrans NCN route 1 from Dover to the Shetland Isles. For anyone considering using the route who is unfamiliar with it, I would strongly recommend using an MTB or at the very least a hybrid/cross bike with knobbly tyres. None of the publicity from Sustrans or the Local Authority point this out. The surface is very rutted and stoney in large sections. The scenery is absolutely stunning!

Looking forward to next Saturday's ride organised by @ColinJ and will be good to ride again with @skudupnorth and other cycling friends old and new.
Skud, as you have mentioned that you will be coming from Rochdale direction when you come through Littleborough, turn left at the traffic lights by the church on to the Todmorden Road and I'll wait for you by the 'Bay of Bengal' Indian restaurant which is about 150 metres on the left after the lights. If you are using the Rochdale Canal you will come off it in Littleborough in Hollingworth Road opposite the Waterside restaurant, turn left at the bottom of Hollingworth Road/Canal Street and then turn right at those same lights I mentioned earlier. See you and @ColinJ there at 9.00 am.

Last edited:
Top Bottom