A Half Century Challenge hilly forum ride (Todmorden/Hebden Bridge), Sat 28th Apr 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had spotted that track from Scarborough and had made a mental note to include it in future cycling holiday plans.

It is odd that the route of an old railway line is so rough. I would have thought it would be pretty flat and maybe covered in small stone chippings, compacted soil, or even tarmac. I will take ride my cyclocross bike if I ever go to ride it.

I'm off to Wales in a few weeks time and am busy planning similar rides there. One that I have done before with Carrie will be on the list - the old railway line cycle path from Barmouth to Dolgellau.

I had spotted that track from Scarborough and had made a mental note to include it in future cycling holiday plans.

It is odd that the route of an old railway line is so rough. I would have thought it would be pretty flat and maybe covered in small stone chippings, compacted soil, or even tarmac. I will take ride my cyclocross bike if I ever go to ride it.

I'm off to Wales in a few weeks time and am busy planning similar rides there. One that I have done before with Carrie will be on the list - the old railway line cycle path from Barmouth to Dolgellau.
Colin,
The Cinder Track is flat compared to what you and I are used to but there is a total of 2635ft of climbing (1332ft Scarborough to Whitby and 1303 ft on the Whitby to Scarborough return). It must have required powerful steam train engines!

The attached web link and links within it give a little bit more information about it and the neglected state of the surface. A plan was presented to improve the surface in 2016 but I would think in the current and forseeable economic climate it will sadly not be granted the required funding.

http://www.hedgehogcycling.co.uk/scarborough-whitby-cinder-track.html

Your planned Wales route sounds good, Colin.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I did Whitby to Scarborough and back three or four years ago.

As Brian says, parts of the track are very rutted - I was pushing for some of it.

The climb back towards Whitby is also hard work, not particularly steep but it seemed to go on for miles.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Apologies for delay in posting, We've been away for the weekend at Whitby/Scarborough. Managed to get 42 miles (21 x 2) incredibly scenic and largely off road cycling done using the route between the 2 towns. It's known as 'The Cinder Track' and is the former railway track route that closed in1965 and was imaginatively acquired by Scarborough Council for recreational use. It now forms part of Sustrans NCN route 1 from Dover to the Shetland Isles. For anyone considering using the route who is unfamiliar with it, I would strongly recommend using an MTB or at the very least a hybrid/cross bike with knobbly tyres. None of the publicity from Sustrans or the Local Authority point this out. The surface is very rutted and stoney in large sections. The scenery is absolutely stunning!

Looking forward to next Saturday's ride organised by @ColinJ and will be good to ride again with @skudupnorth and other cycling friends old and new.
Skud, as you have mentioned that you will be coming from Rochdale direction when you come through Littleborough, turn left at the traffic lights by the church on to the Todmorden Road and I'll wait for you by the 'Bay of Bengal' Indian restaurant which is about 150 metres on the left after the lights. If you are using the Rochdale Canal you will come off it in Littleborough in Hollingworth Road opposite the Waterside restaurant, turn left at the bottom of Hollingworth Road/Canal Street and then turn right at those same lights I mentioned earlier. See you and @ColinJ there at 9.00 am.
Perfect ! It’s about 20+ miles from my house so if I give a generous 2 hours to get to you for 9am then all is good. Cannot wait

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Littgull, @skudupnorth - if it is just the 3 of us doing the extra loop for the 50-miler and both of you are going to be on touring bikes with (presumably?) strong wheels and biggish tyres ... how do you fancy something a bit different - including a bit of minor 'rough stuff'? Nothing too gnarly - much of the route I have in mind has been given a tarmac surface in recent years, but some of it is still gravel and a bit rutted. It is to go via the car park at Hardcastle Crags up the dirt/gravel track up to Walshaw via Shackleton. Beyond Walshaw is tarmac now. We would get onto Widdop Road below Gorple Reservoir and then ride back to join the planned road at Slack. We could then miss out the end of the Long Causeway and drop down Shore Rd to the A646 back to Tod?

These pictures were taken on the track near Shackleton ...

CAADX above Hebden Bridge.jpg

CAADX on gravel road to Walshaw.jpg

If you don't fancy it we can stick to Plan A. If you do, I might ride that CX bike for a change.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
@Littgull, @skudupnorth - if it is just the 3 of us doing the extra loop for the 50-miler and both of you are going to be on touring bikes with (presumably?) strong wheels and biggish tyres ... how do you fancy something a bit different - including a bit of minor 'rough stuff'? Nothing too gnarly - much of the route I have in mind has been given a tarmac surface in recent years, but some of it is still gravel and a bit rutted. It is to go via the car park at Hardcastle Crags up the dirt/gravel track up to Walshaw via Shackleton. Beyond Walshaw is tarmac now. We would get onto Widdop Road below Gorple Reservoir and then ride back to join the planned road at Slack. We could then miss out the end of the Long Causeway and drop down Shore Rd to the A646 back to Tod?

These pictures were taken on the track near Shackleton ...

View attachment 405607
View attachment 405608

If you don't fancy it we can stick to Plan A. If you do, I might ride that CX bike for a change.
I’m up for a new challenge and the Spa needs a good test

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Spa tourers are known to be robust and Brian's Thorn is expedition quality, so both bikes should have no problem with gravel and a few ruts.

I find more than a few miles of those conditions wearing not so much on the bike, but more on my ageing and aching bones.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Spa tourers are known to be robust and Brian's Thorn is expedition quality, so both bikes should have no problem with gravel and a few ruts.

I find more than a few miles of those conditions wearing not so much on the bike, but more on my ageing and aching bones.
Ive done some trail stuff with the shiny Spa so I have no worries, i've even been off road on my fixie which amazes some other cyclists on full sus MTB's :laugh:

Top Bottom