A Half Century Challenge hilly forum ride (Todmorden/Hebden Bridge), Sat 28th Apr 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The forecast is slightly better now - the showers are not due until about 19:00.

I have booked us a (very rare) tailwind for this ...

Cragg Vale climb sign.jpg

(Normally there is a cross/headwind from the right on the exposed moorland further up.)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm hoping for reasonable weather on Saturday.

Cold, windy, and wet this morning, which severely curtailed a ride I had planned.

I will - as you know - ride in poor conditions for the sake of keeping a group ride going, but I would rather not.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My ride today was curtailed out of existence by the cold, windy and wet conditions here! :laugh:

Cold, windy and dry is what they are saying we will get on Saturday - disappointing, but acceptable, though I reckon that our cafe stop at Craggies will be taken indoors rather than at the picnic tables outside!

Craggies:
Craggies site 2010.jpg

Oops, sorry - that Google SV drive-by was 7.5 years ago when the site was still a run-down hilltop poultry farm, rather than the business park that it has now become!

Craggies!
Craggies.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

OOPS - I cocked up the times! :blush:

I had said 10:00 in Todmorden and 10:30 in Hebden Bridge. Somewhere along the line I accidentally changed it to 09:30 in Todmorden and 10:00 in Hebden Bridge - let's stick with the amended times - 09:30 Todmorden, 10:00 Hebden Bridge!

If you want a pre-ride coffee/chat with Carrie in Hebden Bridge, meet her at the sundial sculpture in Hebden Bridge at 09:30 and be back there ready to go by 09:55. (There are cafes right next to the sculpture so you don't need to move far from it.)

Please post below to confirm that you are coming at the appropriate (changed) times - @Littgull, @skudupnorth, @Pale Rider and @Julia9054.

Littgull and Skud - since nobody else is meeting me at the car park in Tod, there is no point in you going round there. Wait across the road from Lidl on the Halifax Rd and I will meet you there just after 09:30. (I'll check the car park at 09:30 just in case somebody turns up there.)

See you all in the morning. :hello:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No probs, I had it in mind to get to Hebden Bridge for about 9.30am.

Coffee with Carrie is something to look forward to, but it's not critical.

Turn up in good time and go with the flow is my approach.

OOPS - I cocked up the times! :blush:

I had said 10:00 in Todmorden and 10:30 in Hebden Bridge. Somewhere along the line I accidentally changed it to 09:30 in Todmorden and 10:00 in Hebden Bridge - let's stick with the amended times - 09:30 Todmorden, 10:00 Hebden Bridge!

If you want a pre-ride coffee/chat with Carrie in Hebden Bridge, meet her at the sundial sculpture in Hebden Bridge at 09:30 and be back there ready to go by 09:55. (There are cafes right next to the sculpture so you don't need to move far from it.)

Please post below to confirm that you are coming at the appropriate (changed) times - @Littgull, @skudupnorth, @Pale Rider and @Julia9054.

Littgull and Skud - since nobody else is meeting me at the car park in Tod, there is no point in you going round there. Wait across the road from Lidl on the Halifax Rd and I will meet you there just after 09:30. (I'll check the car park at 09:30 just in case somebody turns up there.)

See you all in the morning. :hello:

No worries @ColinJ. Ill wait by the Bay of Bengal Indian Restaurant in Littleborough for @skudupnorth and we'll see you subsequently outside Lidl in Todmorden at 9.30 a.m. I'm glad the persistent light rain has occurred today rather than be forecasted for tomorrow. I don't think my shorts will be making an appearance though :bicycle:. See you all tomorrow.

Still coming,told everyone about the mad ride so I cannot go into work on Monday and say I did not do it !! Brian, What time shall I meet you so we are in time to meet up with everyone ?
Sorry @skudupnorth, I forgot to mention that I'll see you outside the 'Bay of Bengal' at 9 am. Have an enjoyable ride over.
Cheers.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

And if things have gone to plan then Carrie is already in Hebden Bridge with her dog and is dog-sitting a friend's. In return, Carrie's dog will be left in the care of the friend tomorrow while she joins us for the ride.

I had intended to ride over there this evening and walk the dogs with her but it is too damp and chilly so I am staying in!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I just checked with Carrie - she is in Hebden Bridge with the 2 dogs and a Bill Bryson book!

I have thought of some more (optional) off-roady bits which we can consider for the extended ride after dropping the 50 km riders off back in Hebden Bridge. I have semi-slick 35 mm tyres on my CX bike and those extra bridleway sections would be okay for them but harder work than the road.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I just checked with Carrie - she is in Hebden Bridge with the 2 dogs and a Bill Bryson book!

I have thought of some more (optional) off-roady bits which we can consider for the extended ride after dropping the 50 km riders off back in Hebden Bridge. I have semi-slick 35 mm tyres on my CX bike and those extra bridleway sections would be okay for them but harder work than the road.
We can see how we are faring to see if we are up to the off road section, I have made some butties just in case I need more food !

Top Bottom