A Half Century Challenge hilly forum ride (Todmorden/Hebden Bridge), Sat 28th Apr 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's really interesting, Colin. Wow what an impressive conversion job on that building.
I was also fascinated when you pointed out the foundation slabs relating to the Trestle Bridge railway at Black Dean and the line in the hillside of the former railway track. Some more information on this via Wickipedia and some old photos of it. What a beautiful yet remote place to have a railway! Then there was the temporary 'village' called 'Dawson City' at Slack Top beyond Heptonstall for the quarry workers - amazing industrial history. If I recall correctly, there are more photos and accounts of this on the walls of the Innovations cafe in Hebden Bridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Dean_Railway

I like the 'static load test' which appeared to be park two locos and rolling stock on the bridge and wait to see if anything happened.

Good job with the camera by Skud.

Before I got on my bike - and before Colin told me where to ride it - I didn't find the area at all attractive.

The post industrial landscape of the mill towns and associated social deprivation made for a depressing visitor experience.

Add some hostile locals - to a visiting football fan - and I couldn't wait to get out of the likes of Burnley, Halifax and Bradford.

Even on a bike it's not exactly the Cotswolds, but cycling around Calderdale is an eye opener for anyone who has not been off the main drags or outside the main towns.
Ha ha Rob, yes the places you have mentioned can be very foreboding. As a long suffering Torquay United supporter I used to travel up from Torquay on the supporters coach to towns like Accrington and Burnley. It used to seem like a different world. I remember thinking as a 12 year old on the coach 'why are all the houses in seaside places so brightly coloured compared to 'up north'. But as you get to understand the industrial history and know about the regional geology it becomes apparent. I love living in the north of England and would never move back down south.
It used to be a long journey back on the coach though as a young lad after being thumped 5 - 0 by Accrington on a cold, damp and grey late November Saturday!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
That's really interesting, Colin. Wow what an impressive conversion job on that building.
I was also fascinated when you pointed out the foundation slabs relating to the Trestle Bridge railway at Black Dean and the line in the hillside of the former railway track. Some more information on this via Wickipedia and some old photos of it. What a beautiful yet remote place to have a railway! Then there was the temporary 'village' called 'Dawson City' at Slack Top beyond Heptonstall for the quarry workers - amazing industrial history. If I recall correctly, there are more photos and accounts of this on the walls of the Innovations cafe in Hebden Bridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Dean_Railway
That is some structure ! Loved the industrial history side of our ride, so much to see and amazed how nature takes over after we have finished messing about !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ha ha Rob, yes the places you have mentioned can be very foreboding. As a long suffering Torquay United supporter I used to travel up from Torquay on the supporters coach to towns like Accrington and Burnley. It used to seem like a different world. I remember thinking as a 12 year old on the coach 'why are all the houses in seaside places so brightly coloured compared to 'up north'. But as you get to understand the industrial history and know about the regional geology it becomes apparent. I love living in the north of England and would never move back down south.
It used to be a long journey back on the coach though as a young lad after being thumped 5 - 0 by Accrington on a cold, damp and grey late November Saturday!

I recall a linesman at Burnley who, to put it kindly, was not the finest athletic specimen.

As he checked the goal net before the game, there was the inevitable chant in relation to his weight.

Not only that, the poor man was pelted with pie crusts and forced to retreat.

Unpleasant for him, but all part of creating an intimidating atmosphere.

I recall a linesman at Burnley who, to put it kindly, was not the finest athletic specimen.

As he checked the goal net before the game, there was the inevitable chant in relation to his weight.

Not only that, the poor man was pelted with pie crusts and forced to retreat.

Unpleasant for him, but all part of creating an intimidating atmosphere.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

potsy

Rambler
The thread title gives it away - yesterday was 50 km (31 miles) and 50 miles with the extension.

If you ever feel like an even shorter and easier ride we could come up with something. Rochdale canal towpath to a cafe at Hollingworth Lake, for example.
That would be nice, be good to catch up with you again.

Let me get back on the bike and see how I am in a few weeks :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That would be nice, be good to catch up with you again.

Let me get back on the bike and see how I am in a few weeks :okay:
Hmm - maybe easy Towpath/Calder Valley Cycleway from Todmorden to Mytholmroyd, a very slow ride up Cragg Vale, freewheel down to Littleborough, easy 1 mile ride to the cafe at Hollingworth Lake, cafe, back down to the canal, towpath back to Tormorden?

If Cragg Vale is a problem then perhaps just towpath - HB, Tod, Littleborough, Lake cafe, Littleborough, Tod, HB? (Or even just Tod, Littleborough, Lake cafe, Littleborough, Tod.)

I have things planned for various dates but there are still a lot of weekends free between now and the autumn.

See you later in the year! :hello:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It would be good to see you back out with the gang again Potsy, we had some good rides in the past and they just get better every time
We were actually saying that on the ride yesterday ... I was saying how Shaun (bromptonfb as he was then) and I almost killed you on your first hilly forum ride a few years back but in less than a year you were dropping me on the climbs!

Top Bottom