A Half Century Challenge hilly forum ride (Todmorden/Hebden Bridge), Sat 28th Apr 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
The way the ride panned out left Skudders with quite a few miles to do late in the day.

Good effort taking it all in his stride.

He told me the main hazard would be the taxi drivers in Rochdale.

Hopefully they behaved themselves tonight.
Rochdale, Bury and Bolton did not disappoint ! All cycle hell holes !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It has rather inspired me to organise a forum ride myself - something similar to the one starting in Knaresborough that we did last year @Pale Rider . I shall give it some thought.

That route would work fine as a forum ride, as I'm sure you know.

Sticking your head above the forum parapet takes a bit of bravery - no one wants to call a ride and get no interest.

Me and @EasyPeez tried it with Spurn last year - only @Supersuperleeds turned out to get hailed on, but we had a grand time nonetheless, so numbers are not the be all and end all.

Anyone reading the various ride reports ought to be reassured that forum rides generally go off very well.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It has rather inspired me to organise a forum ride myself - something similar to the one starting in Knaresborough that we did last year @Pale Rider . I shall give it some thought.
That would be interesting ...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that @Oldfentiger suggested a route to me last year which is in your area. I intended to organise a forum ride to tackle it at some point this year. It would be 100 km from Harrogate station. One wicked climb from Lofthouse in Nidderdale but the remaining climbs much less intimidating.

Littgull and I could get to Harrogate OR Knaresborough by train at a reasonable time on a Saturday and at a reasonable price (£9 return with our railcards).

PS My route could be reversed to make Lofthouse a steep descent instead!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Here are some shots from todays amazing ride
DSCN1692.JPG
DSCN1693.JPG
DSCN1698.JPG
DSCN1700.JPG
DSCN1707.JPG
DSCN1714.JPG
DSCN1715.JPG
DSCN1727.JPG

DSCN1692.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did some research and found that the immaculate building in those photos is Holme Ends farmhouse. It was a ruined Grade II listed building in all the years that I used to ride past there on my mountain bike. I found the planning application to rebuild it and I also found photos of it (HERE) as it was before the work was done.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
That route would work fine as a forum ride, as I'm sure you know.

Sticking your head above the forum parapet takes a bit of bravery - no one wants to call a ride and get no interest.

Me and @EasyPeez tried it with Spurn last year - only @Supersuperleeds turned out to get hailed on, but we had a grand time nonetheless, so numbers are not the be all and end all.

Anyone reading the various ride reports ought to be reassured that forum rides generally go off very well.

I'm still drying out from that ride. Was a fantastic day despite the awful weather.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Had a play with a couple of yesterday's photo's and converted them into my favourite format.......Black and White View attachment 406493 View attachment 406494

Good job with the camera by Skud.

Before I got on my bike - and before Colin told me where to ride it - I didn't find the area at all attractive.

The post industrial landscape of the mill towns and associated social deprivation made for a depressing visitor experience.

Add some hostile locals - to a visiting football fan - and I couldn't wait to get out of the likes of Burnley, Halifax and Bradford.

Even on a bike it's not exactly the Cotswolds, but cycling around Calderdale is an eye opener for anyone who has not been off the main drags or outside the main towns.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Good job with the camera by Skud.

Before I got on my bike - and before Colin told me where to ride it - I didn't find the area at all attractive.

The post industrial landscape of the mill towns and associated social deprivation made for a depressing visitor experience.

Add some hostile locals - to a visiting football fan - and I couldn't wait to get out of the likes of Burnley, Halifax and Bradford.

Even on a bike it's not exactly the Cotswolds, but cycling around Calderdale is an eye opener for anyone who has not been off the main drags or outside the main towns.
Thankyou,I want to get out again today but work and kids activities win today !

I did some research and found that the immaculate building in those photos is Holme Ends farmhouse. It was a ruined Grade II listed building in all the years that I used to ride past there on my mountain bike. I found the planning application to rebuild it and I also found photos of it (HERE) as it was before the work was done.
That's really interesting, Colin. Wow what an impressive conversion job on that building.
I was also fascinated when you pointed out the foundation slabs relating to the Trestle Bridge railway at Black Dean and the line in the hillside of the former railway track. Some more information on this via Wickipedia and some old photos of it. What a beautiful yet remote place to have a railway! Then there was the temporary 'village' called 'Dawson City' at Slack Top beyond Heptonstall for the quarry workers - amazing industrial history. If I recall correctly, there are more photos and accounts of this on the walls of the Innovations cafe in Hebden Bridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Dean_Railway

Top Bottom