A KMC Z7 Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
About 4 months ago I fitted a new KMC Z7 to my Hybrid bike today I checked it for wear and I could not believe what I saw It was very badly worn and needs to be replaced . surely something not right here that it could have worn out in such a short time

I always keep the chain on the biggest chainring and the 3rd smallest sprocket never move it

lpretro1

It's a cheap chain so not going to last forever - but you haven't said what mileage you have done or how you maintain the chain for us to speculate. If you ride in one ring and one sprocket all, the time they will wear out...if u only ride in one gear have you considered a single speed set-up?

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
I guess I have done about 1000 miles on flat roads no climbs that is why I never change gears

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Did you fit your new chain to worn cassette and chain wheels, fitting new chains to already worn components will accelerate chain wear.

lpretro1

It's only a £5-6 chain - not worth bothering about after 1K miles just fit new..but check cassette wear as well or it may well skip

RMurphy195

And there is your problem.

Grease will protect the outside of the chain but not penetrate into the links. Unless of course you are boiling the chain in linklife!

Best way is to remove the chain, clean it in some sort of solvent (I use white spirit) then use proper oil on it - in my case it's TF2 spray oil I leave the chain in a plastic container, liberally spray with oil, leave it for an hour or two to for the oil to "soak" into the links, wipe off the excess and put it back on the bike.

But not onto worn sprockets - honest!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Best way is to remove the chain, clean it in some sort of solvent (I use white spirit) then use proper oil on it - in my case it's TF2 spray oil I leave the chain in a plastic container, liberally spray with oil, leave it for an hour or two to for the oil to "soak" into the links, wipe off the excess and put it back on the bike.

That sounds very thorough - but having to remove the chain every time it needs lubricating must be a bit of a pain.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Grease will protect the outside of the chain but not penetrate into the links. Unless of course you are boiling the chain in linklife!

But not onto worn sprockets - honest!
Waste of time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
About 4 months ago I fitted a new KMC Z7 to my Hybrid bike today I checked it for wear and I could not believe what I saw It was very badly worn and needs to be replaced . surely something not right here that it could have worn out in such a short time

I always keep the chain on the biggest chainring and the 3rd smallest sprocket never move it

Chain wear checkers are a curse.

I expect there are lots of chains in regular use which would 'fail' a wear test.

Was the chain skipping?

If not, why replace it?

[QUOTE 4220696, member: 9609"]why do you say that ? I am getting excellent results from grease. (astonishingly messy, but excellent wear)

[/QUOTE]

We aren't after excellent wear, we are after excellent mileage. Grease is not a good chain lubricant because it cannot transport the metal particles away from the wear interface, which is inside, between pin and bushing. Oil keeps the bits in suspension (hence its black colour) and brings it to the outside where it does less damage. Further, grease cannot penetrate inside, as someone else already pointed out.

Top Bottom