A KMC Z7 Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chain wear checkers are a curse.

I expect there are lots of chains in regular use which would 'fail' a wear test.

Was the chain skipping?

If not, why replace it?
Wear checkers, if properly designed, serves a very useful purpose but as you say, all the ones from Park and the other companies who don't understand chain engineering are a farce.
As a chain wears, it doesn't start to skip to indicate wear. Skipping, or rather skating (skipping is for poorly adjusted gears) only happens when you fit a new chain on a worn cassette. Therefore skating is a non-indicator of a worn chain.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to learn to use gears better as you will need a new cassette. If you don't change gear then get a fixed/single speed bike.

On a geared bike, I doubt you are pedaling efficiently in just one gear. I rode for 6 years fixed gear on a lumpy commute. It helps you learn to spin more riding a fixed gear, but also be more flexible in your pedaling efficiency.

[QUOTE 4221271, member: 9609"]I am currently using grease on my long term test at the moment and it is doing well, not quite as good as chainsaw oil but considering the grease has had the short straw of being used on the wet and salty winter roads.
chainwear_zps5q8fnvca.jpg
[/QUOTE]
How can I not like this graph?

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Did you fit your new chain to worn cassette and chain wheels, fitting new chains to already worn components will accelerate chain wear.

AFAIK the chainrings and the and the freewheel were ok when I fitted the chain

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
OK if I am going to fit a new chain what chain would you recommend ? if the KMC Z7 lasted only less than four months it would be a waste of time fitting another one

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Chain wear checkers are a curse.

I expect there are lots of chains in regular use which would 'fail' a wear test.

Was the chain skipping?

If not, why replace it?

No the chain was not skipping but going by the amount of play in the chain on the chainring it will not be long before it will be skipping

Top Bottom