A lesson from a coach driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

beastie said:
Here's the cycle lane on my commute, would you use this one? It's about 2 feet wide.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...=WxLy1dZ8cT5cu2gNJQsIAg&cbp=12,74.51,,0,19.06

You need to fix your link! I've fixed it in my quote above. I don't know, perhaps. It's a very, very different road to the one I was cycling on. It looks a quiet road, nowhere near as wide as the one I was on, and it is straight without undulations. I'm not sure how this takes the discussion forwards to be honest.

Yes I do dislike cycle lanes, although if you search my more recent posts on the subject you will see that I can understand why they are there. However, if I come the other way on this road I do use the lane in certain sections. I won't just avoid a cycle lane for the sake of it!

beastie

Guru
magnatom said:
You need to fix your link! I've fixed it in my quote above. I don't know, perhaps. It's a very, very different road to the one I was cycling on. It looks a quiet road, nowhere near as wide as the one I was on, and it is straight without undulations. I'm not sure how this takes the discussion forwards to be honest.

Yes I do dislike cycle lanes, although if you search my more recent posts on the subject you will see that I can understand why they are there. However, if I come the other way on this road I do use the lane in certain sections. I won't just avoid a cycle lane for the sake of it!

Ta for the webmaster stuff. Yes it's a quiet commute, but I lived and cycled in Edinburgh for 7 years and you have had more incidents in the last 7 weeks than I did in Auld Reekie. The point I wish to make is that I use this narrow little lane when it's empty of parked cars, the road is pretty wide and almost all cars pass with plenty room. If I feel the need to move out of the lane then I take up a strong secondary position or a primary position if passing a bin lorry for instance. The traffic behind just has to wait. Normally I give a wave of thanks as they pass. If there was a large viehicle like a bus behind then I WOULD move over as much as possible to facilitate it's overtake. Surely that's just common sense - keeping yourself out of harms way.

Yes the bus driver was too close, yes you have every right to cycle in the middle of the road if you wish, but You need to be more aware of your road position and surrounding traffic. Perhaps find an alternative route to work?

beastie

Guru
just rewatched your vid mags. it was a worse overtake than I thought. Perhaps you should have been either right out to the right or t'other side of white line?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

beastie said:
Ta for the webmaster stuff. Yes it's a quiet commute, but I lived and cycled in Edinburgh for 7 years and you have had more incidents in the last 7 weeks than I did in Auld Reekie. The point I wish to make is that I use this narrow little lane when it's empty of parked cars, the road is pretty wide and almost all cars pass with plenty room. If I feel the need to move out of the lane then I take up a strong secondary position or a primary position if passing a bin lorry for instance. The traffic behind just has to wait. Normally I give a wave of thanks as they pass. If there was a large viehicle like a bus behind then I WOULD move over as much as possible to facilitate it's overtake. Surely that's just common sense - keeping yourself out of harms way.

Yes, however, this cycle lane and road is a completely different beast to the one I cycle on, so I'm not sure what the relevance to my situation and my incident is. Apples and pears.

Oh and it seems that the use of that particular cycle lane is itself controversial! :biggrin::biggrin:

Yes the bus driver was too close, yes you have every right to cycle in the middle of the road if you wish, but You need to be more aware of your road position and surrounding traffic. Perhaps find an alternative route to work?

It has absolutely nothing to do with rights. I'm not trying to exert or stress any right. I am just trying to ride as safely as I can.

I was perfectly aware of my road position. The reason that this overtake caught me out was that the vehicle slowed (there was no need as the bend is not that sharp and he was traveling below 30mph at the time) and pulled back in before passing me.

This is my alternative route! it allows me to take back roads which avoid Balmore Road, which anyone who knows the area would testify is not a great road to cycle on in heavy traffic. By doing this I am trying to avoid conflict, which is contrary to what some people think I do....;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

beastie said:
just rewatched your vid mags. it was a worse overtake than I thought. Perhaps you should have been either right out to the right or t'other side of white line?

Or, perhaps....and I know this is stretching it a bit, the coach driver could have waited until it was safe to overtake and not have pulled in on me....crazy thought I know, but just a thought....

beastie

Guru
magnatom said:
This is my alternative route! it allows me to take back roads which avoid Balmore Road, which anyone who knows the area would testify is not a great road to cycle on in heavy traffic. By doing this I am trying to avoid conflict, which is contrary to what some people think I do....;)

Maybe you should get out of the rat race like me. The road above is the busiest part of my journey:smile:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
Or, perhaps....and I know this is stretching it a bit, the coach driver could have waited until it was safe to overtake and not have pulled in on me....crazy thought I know, but just a thought....
You fool, whatever would give you that idea??? ;);)

beastie

Guru
magnatom said:

Absolutely at no point have I disagreed with this.

Cab

magnatom said:
That's the funny thing. This road isn't too bad with potholes. ;)

Odd. Looks like the rubbly hardcore that appears when a road falls apart. I wonder where its from then?

Have you reported the state of the cycle lane to the relevant local authority? Not that I'm suggesting that even after a clean you should definitely use it, but it'd be nice to have some rubble free escape space.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

beastie said:
Absolutely at no point have I disagreed with this.

Ah, but this is an interesting point. I post the incident on here and the main focus of the thread soon turns to have/have not done wrong. Now I am used to this and to some extent it can be useful, but it does get a bit extreme sometimes.

Who was the victim in this incident? And who is taking the flak? Is it justified?

Water off a ducks back, and all that, its just fascinating to be on this side of it...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
Odd. Looks like the rubbly hardcore that appears when a road falls apart. I wonder where its from then?

Have you reported the state of the cycle lane to the relevant local authority? Not that I'm suggesting that even after a clean you should definitely use it, but it'd be nice to have some rubble free escape space.

There are a few lorries that go down that route carrying stone etc, I wonder if it is from them. It is worse on that curve which would fit...

I'll be writing a full letter to the council not just explaining the muck and rubble, but the other issue with the lane as well.

Top Bottom