A Lighter Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
The cheapest way to lose weight on a cassette is to reduce the tooth sizes. So drop to an 11-25 instead of that overweight 32t. Then go Dura-Ace.

chris-suffolk

The cheapest way to lose weight on a cassette is to reduce the tooth sizes. So drop to an 11-25 instead of that overweight 32t. Then go Dura-Ace.

Or better still go single / fixed. Then you lose nearly all the teeth (only 1 cog left), at least 1 front chain ring (usually) and both derailleurs and associated shifters and cables - way to go!!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
Fortunately, the cassette is one of the least critical places to lose weight from.

Its rotating, but very close around the axis, so rotational inertia is low - a single gram off the tryre or rim would be worth 5 or 10 off the cassette in peformance terms.

It's not too high , so overcoming the forward-directional interia for leaning when changing direction is easy, and being a small diameter the gyroscopic effect is very minimal, so also has little effect. Again, for overcoming the gyroscope, grams off the rim or tyre are worth many off the cassette.

It's one of the last things to look at when seeking a performance gain, and even then I still wouldn't bother.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's funny how no-one drills holes in their carbon dura ace brake levers nowadays.

They're shoot scared of them failing under load, that's why! :laugh:

CharleyFarley

I ride for fitness, not performance, so weight doesn't bother me. If it did, I'd remove the 4 lb 'U' lock and cable from my seat post. ^_^

Top Bottom