A Lighter Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I was staggered at the sheer weight of my Shimano HG5000 10 speed 11-32 teeth cassette

I am guessing that there are lighter cassettes out there

I will put the old one on the scales but I reckon its half a kilo.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lighter Cassette or lighter wallet (and more frequently rinsed as lighter materials wear more quickly).
SRAM cassettes might be a bit lighter than Shimano for not so much more outlay (C.250g for 11-32 PG1050/1070) Shimano one seems to be around 350g

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends how light you want to go. And how much you want to spend.

A Dura-Ace 10 speed or SRAM Red will be about 135-200g. But they're not cheap.

You can go lighter with some Chinese ones as there's a Mighty cassette that's 125g.

I was staggered at the sheer weight of my Shimano HG5000 10 speed 11-32 teeth cassette

I am guessing that there are lighter cassettes out there

I will put the old one on the scales but I reckon its half a kilo.
The problem with trickle down tech is that the design is made around all the high tech materials and processes of Dura Ace etc. The trickle down versions are converted to steel stampings.

chris-suffolk

But yours is only 6 speed, mine was 10 as the OP requested. 1g for 4 extra cogs. Hmmmm !!!

Reactions: C R

boydj

Legendary Member
Do you think you would notice 100g of extra weight, or a weight loss of 100g? Unless you are seriously racing at a high level - in which case you're probably not paying for the equipment - you'll not notice the difference between an aluminium or steel cassette. Spend spare money on quality tyres and wheels where you will notice a difference.

midlife

Guru
Do you think you would notice 100g of extra weight, or a weight loss of 100g? Unless you are seriously racing at a high level - in which case you're probably not paying for the equipment - you'll not notice the difference between an aluminium or steel cassette. Spend spare money on quality tyres and wheels where you will notice a difference.

I was pretty handy with a Black and Decker drill back in the 70's :smile:

Kajjal

Guru
Mountain biking in the early 1990’s went through an obsession with weight saving. It produced various customised bikes which rode poorly and in some cases became structurally dangerous. When I put on bmx style flat pedals and wider bars I was nearly burnt at the stake :evil:

Gunk

Guru
You can go lighter with some Chinese ones as there's a Mighty cassette that's 125g.

That is light, a Campag Super Record 11 Speed cassette is about the same, (I’ve just sold one) they’re a mixture of titanium and alloy.

Top Bottom