A little bit of legal advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If that purple sign is yours, it's too dull and too small compared with the other two. It took me a minute or so to spot it, looking at that picture. Can't you negotiate with next door to put a bigger sign on the brick wall above it?
I think you're probably referring to the sign which has now been moved, unfortunately as my neighbour is also a bathroom and tile shop I think it's unlikely they'll let me put my sign on their wall, the spoilsports :sad:
The big arrow pointing left is theirs and the red and white barriers are theirs too, they were put up to try to partially block access to my property and also of course to dissuade people from turning right. It does look a lot better now it's all gone and I'm hopeful that the new sign that I'll be putting up will be clearer and more eye catching than what we had before :okay:
Although if you're referring to the little sign, you're quite right and that's the one that's being replaced.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Any chance they will buy your business off you, and you retire? :smile::okay:

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Any chance they will buy your business off you, and you retire? :smile::okay:
Haha, chance would be a fine thing, however I think they're struggling more than I am!! I suspect the recent attempts to make their store look more presentable is a last throw of the dice, we'll see in 6 months or so.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I wonder if I may be able to pick someones brains please?
I have a shop selling kitchens,bathrooms and tiles. Next door to me is another shop (part of a chain) which sells bathrooms and tiles. Currently, due to an agreement I had with the store manager, I have a sign on their land. The manager I had the agreement with has now left and I have received an email from the regional manager telling me to remove my sign. It's a pain in the bum but I guess it's understandable. However, in the email he has stated that if I do not remove my sign within a week then he will, my question is, is he allowed to do this? Can he move, destroy or otherwise tamper with my sign considering it is not his property even though it is on his land?
Thanks in advance.

I'd contact their Head Office, espressing surprise and disappointment that this is the manner in which the new RM introduces him to you. Regardless of whether or not it's reasonable for them to ask you to remove the sign, it's reasonable to expect a neighbour, especially a new neighbour, to make an effort to establish good relations when they move in (or take over a role in this case).

The approach of the new RM seems totally unreasonable, making threats immediately, and I would say this approach is highly inappropriate. Community relations should be important to national chains, and bullying local shops is not a good way to foster community relations, introducing himself in this way is certainly not good for community relations.

In all correspondence you can of course stress that you are aware that it was only due to goodwill that you erected the sign there, but make the point that you would like to continue in a spirit of goodwill towards your neighbour, rather than having to respond to unnecessary threats.

If you wish to foster good relations with the RM, you could of course put this point to him directly rather than HO. However he sounds like an arse, I'd be tempted to go over his head.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'd contact their Head Office, espressing surprise and disappointment that this is the manner in which the new RM introduces him to you. Regardless of whether or not it's reasonable for them to ask you to remove the sign, it's reasonable to expect a neighbour, especially a new neighbour, to make an effort to establish good relations when they move in (or take over a role in this case).

The approach of the new RM seems totally unreasonable, making threats immediately, and I would say this approach is highly inappropriate. Community relations should be important to national chains, and bullying local shops is not a good way to foster community relations, introducing himself in this way is certainly not good for community relations.

In all correspondence you can of course stress that you are aware that it was only due to goodwill that you erected the sign there, but make the point that you would like to continue in a spirit of goodwill towards your neighbour, rather than having to respond to unnecessary threats.

If you wish to foster good relations with the RM, you could of course put this point to him directly rather than HO. However he sounds like an arse, I'd be tempted to go over his head.
Yes that was sort of my view on it, however it was on their land and that corner certainly needed sorting out. It does make you look at things a little differently too and frankly the corner was an eyesore with both of us more intent on who could bung the biggest sign down there and them intent on blocking access to my property as opposed to what was going to work best for us. We'll see how things pan out now, in this instance moving the sign and having a rethink was the right thing to do, although I wasn't enamoured with his approach.

Top Bottom