A little worried about commuting to work tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Well i arrived safe and sound. The traffic was surprisingly quiet going. I,m putting this down to setting off early and choosing a less busy route. It turned out to be just shy of 20 miles and took around an hour. I know i could of done it slightly quicker if the wind was more favourable and if my back pack wasn't rammed full of work gear and safety shoes. Now i know its doable i think i may do it on a regular basis, as it was quite enjoyable to blow the cobwebs away first thing in the morning 👍👍

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi,
Well i arrived safe and sound. The traffic was surprisingly quiet going. I,m putting this down to setting off early and choosing a less busy route. It turned out to be just shy of 20 miles and took around an hour. I know i could of done it slightly quicker if the wind was more favourable and if my back pack wasn't rammed full of work gear and safety shoes. Now i know its doable i think i may do it on a regular basis, as it was quite enjoyable to blow the cobwebs away first thing in the morning 👍👍
Leave your work gear at work when you know you’ll be cycling :smile:

si_c

Guru
Morning commutes were always my favourite, especially starting in the dark and riding through sunrise in winter. I prefer the A-road routes myself, I feel safer overall as although the speed differential is greater there is much better visibility usually and the wider roads mean you get better passes.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Morning commutes were always my favourite, especially starting in the dark and riding through sunrise in winter. I prefer the A-road routes myself, I feel safer overall as although the speed differential is greater there is much better visibility usually and the wider roads mean you get better passes.

I think you're right here. However, to balance that, the greater speed differential means that any incident will have much more serious consequences. I will never forget the 20-30 seconds of a ride I did at 3 am home from a split night shift. I took the shorter A40 route as I thought that the road would be virtually empty at that time of night. It was, but I didn't enjoy hearing a car coming up behind me at what sounded like 150 mph. His headlights lit up the landscape ahead of me, and I just had to trust that my rear light, rear flasher, hi-viz Altura jacket with Scotchbrite :laugh::laugh::laugh:, wrist and ankle bands had done their job and he had seen me. I didn't even dare to look behind for fear of a wobble into his path. In the event, he passed me at well over the ton with a whole lane to spare (3-lane road) and all was well. But it was a 5p/50p moment, that's for sure.

An incident on a minor road would likely be painful but not fatal, I would hope. You pays your money, I guess.

Chris S

Legendary Member
It turned out to be just shy of 20 miles and took around an hour.
Just out of interest, what sort of gearing and cadence do you use to get a 20mph average speed?

Reactions: C R

livpoksoc

Guru
For commuting...and hell for goat paths and wherever vehicles approaching from behind you is a concern, I thoroughly recommend one of these. My parents picked it up in Canada, and can only find them on ebay.

Stick it to your helmet or glasses and add a bif of bamdage tape to secure it, and can help give a reassuring glance behind you without twitching and moving off your own pedalling line.

I used to commute over a single carriageway toll bridge into Southampton and this was essential to allowing me to ride with confidence in offen heavy winds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303265211985

Ajax Bay

Guru
it was a 5p/50p moment, that's for sure.
Only in your mind, Richard. Anyway, what's a 5p/50p moment? How much do public loos cost in Wales?
Trust you've done your best to make yourself as conspicuous as possible and trust/have confidence that the passing drivers do so with due care and space to spare. Control what you can control (includes choice of route: btw I too think, on balance, wider main roads with good lines of sight are 'safer' than minor roads).
PS Had some stretches on the A40 ( a percentage of Abergavenny/Brecon/Gloucester) last week in the dark. Was fine. Lit up well and ankle straps.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
For those who appreciate quantative analysis, the relevant diameters are 18mm and 27.5mm.
Interestingly (or not, but this IS Cycle Chat) bitd a farthing/halfpenny is/was 20mm and 25mm.
Still 'all in the mind'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Since this IS Cycle Chat, and we have diverted onto the subject...

I used to really like the late night OU broadcasts. Some of the lecturers were funny in a dry, British kind of way. I remember one experiment that involved researchers stressing rats with flashing bright lights and sudden loud noises (nice!) and a nerd saying that they worked out how scared the rats were "... by measuring the rate of faecal boli deposition. In other words - how often they sh*t!" :laugh:

^_^

Top Bottom