A lot of metal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
NHS advice on MRI scanners and metal.

Make sure that you tell the staff, or that they will know some other way if you are unconscious.

Oh, yikes - I just found this video! :eek:

This is what puts me off ever asking for another on my bothersome back and neck. I have this vision of the plate and eight screws in my collar bone being pulled out! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Recover quickly, Anne!

Do people with metalwork like this have a lifetime ban from MRI scanners? What happens in case of an accident/illness, if the person in question is not able to mention the scaffolding? I wear a medical dog tag explaining that I am on warfarin, in case I am knocked out in an accident. Would you need to wear similar, or carry a card?
I've a small piece in the right knee, but it's not stopped any MRI scans being done. Area has warmed slightly, but nothing lasting.

For a while after, I'd to be careful with alarm systems in supermarkets. It had a habit of setting them off.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've a small piece in the right knee, but it's not stopped any MRI scans being done. Area has warmed slightly, but nothing lasting.

For a while after, I'd to be careful with alarm systems in supermarkets. It had a habit of setting them off.
Sounds like a good reason to avoid supermarkets. Don't think I'll have a problem in the local fruit shop or butchers :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Sounds like a good reason to avoid supermarkets. Don't think I'll have a problem in the local fruit shop or butchers :smile:
Not had an MRI for a few years now, so I not setting them off either.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ask them for one of those NHS cards that identifies you has having metal implants. Saves a lot of time and explanations at airports, big music venues, etc.
Well if they insist there's something there, they're allowed no deeper than the skin.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I've just had my 6 month check this morning. Sat there for 2 hours only to be told everything's fine and we'll sign you off now. :angry:
Still in pain but I guess it's just up to me now to keep doing the exercises the physio gave me. Keep smiling @annedonnelly, it's going to take time but hang in there. :training:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
@Sterlo Good that they think all is fine. Not good that you're in pain and not getting more physio support.:sad:

I'm busy chasing my physio as I've not heard anything about an appointment yet. I suspect that it's not helped by staff shortages.

I'll be pleased when I can report on a six month check up

Top Bottom