A massive "well done" to all comuter cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Managed less than normal this January, I won't risk the ice or snow, and TBH if it's pouring with rain at 0500hrs I tend to grab the car keys. Had a couple of soakings on the way home this month, that I can live with.
I look forward to the Summer commutes, riding home early on a Sat/Sun morning after a 12hr night shift is wonderful and often results in taking the long way home.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
riding home early on a Sat/Sun morning after a 12hr night shift is wonderful
THIS in spades :okay:
The Sun morning ride home is always bliss. As an urban commuter the contrast between the Sun morning air quality compared to Monday morning is always a shock :sad:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I miss my commutes (enforced WFH since last March). I'd rather be out in the dark than on the turbo. However, there has to be a purpose to the trip to get me out at 7.15 in the cold. I don't go for the virtual commute thing.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Managed less than normal this January, I won't risk the ice or snow, and TBH if it's pouring with rain at 0500hrs I tend to grab the car keys. Had a couple of soakings on the way home this month, that I can live with.
I look forward to the Summer commutes, riding home early on a Sat/Sun morning after a 12hr night shift is wonderful and often results in taking the long way home.
There's the magic right there, you won't find many car commutes going the long way home, it is to me and many others a form of therapy a life saver almost without which the world would seem a lot less sane.

I had a couple of days where I skipped the bike because it was just too dangerously icy...

...but I walked 12km each way to/from work to make up for it which was probably harder exercise than cycling. Made sure I rubbed it in to my boss who moans about being overweight but drives 4km to work and does no exercise.

Tbh this January hasn't been too bad for me. It hasn't been that windy compared to a lot of recent winters and I managed to get quite lucky through the rainy weeks finding gaps in the rain. The main annoying thing has been more than usual snow and ice (and also heavy freezing fog on a couple of occasions) and having to be super slow and careful rather than enjoying my rides.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Missed 2 days in Jan due to ice . Gutted to have to use the car but it was to risky . I could get ice tyres but can't justify it as the last time I didn't ride Didnt due to ice was the beast from the East March 2018 I think

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Ice has been the big problem, so many times it's frozen and then rained on top of it, an almost unmanageable combination, one morning going into Lancaster over the mileniem bridge there was just two patches of very slick invisible black ice that were impossible to ride over and stay on the rest of my route to work was ice free, that is what catches you out, the patchy nature of it you think your fine get complacent and off you come.

Well done everyone (including the ice-dodgers - discretion before valour :thumbsup: )

Here's some motivation for Feb:

https://winterbiketoworkday.org/
Ride with the world on Friday, February 12!

Currently the Scandis are whipping the Brits in sign-up numbers, so get in there (unless you're a Scandi - you can just smile smugly)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We've had no ice to worry about on my commute this month. Just the insecent bleeding rain.
We had that ,it caused floods which then froze.
Worst Jan for me for years as high levels of overtime ( AVG 2 hour's most day's) and starting back on nights and having to home school kids meant I struggled to find the energy or motivation, maybe 300 miles for Jan rather than my usual 5-600

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've been trying to do rides equivalent to the commute several times a week, but there's something special about the commute itself that I'm missing. The familiar roads - the photographic memory of the potholes, the road undulations, the sixth sense of where the usual dangers are, being in the right gear for any specific sections, seeing the same people every morning/evening. It's a rhythmic routine.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There's no denying there's been too many days this month with rain, roads streaming with water and a bugger of a breeze (today being the latest) where using the car has been tempting, but where's the fun of driving 3.5 miles each way instead of biking at least 10 miles each way?

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Missed 2 days in Jan due to ice . Gutted to have to use the car but it was to risky . I could get ice tyres but can't justify it as the last time I didn't ride Didnt due to ice was the beast from the East March 2018 I think
The Beast from the East was one to remember for sure, i marveled as every day I saw a posibly late 50s lady ride her bike to work all through it and stopped to talk to her and congratulate her on determination and we exchanged "good mornings" from then on.
I don't blame anyone for choosing to not ride in icy conditions and you really need to balance the risks of putting more pressure on the NHS and the greater risk of exposing yourself to corvid too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Same here. Luckily it only affected 2 work days. (This Jan was overall pretty unhazardous than previous years).
Tomorrow looks similar (luckily I am not working); council releases flood warnings for 3 rivers, then says the gritters are on their way out. Grim!
Literally minutes after I went through they shut a bridge I use on my normal commute, looks like I will have to take the long way around

Top Bottom