A massive "well done" to all comuter cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I missed 2 days due to snow and ice, my route is mostly rural lanes which aren’t gritted so had to be the car. There’s been lots of rain as well with flooded roads last week.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
One thing for sure, it's going to be a cold one at 5am tomorrow :cold::cold::cold:

Last one for January...

Lovacott

Über Member
Any cyclist who commuted all through January, have a big "well done" from me.
I bottled out Friday due to 50mph winds but apart from that, January wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I did have a bit of a hairy moment on a sheet of ice which I coped with like a speedway rider (more luck than judgement though to be honest).

Over the last week, it has been getting lighter in the evenings to the point where I can see for the first three miles without lights. A few more weeks and it will be light the whole way.

Attachments

• 1612090242336.png
    1612090242336.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Admit that with the dodgy weather, I've driven to work in conditions of rain & strong wind, but still bike whenever I can. It's so much less stressful, but you all know that anyway - !:rofl:

keithmac

Guru
First day back at work I nearly binned it outside the house (sheet ice!). Forgot I normal walk to the main road when it's icy.

Our side street are a skating rink, I'll ride in any weather but ice is the worst.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't blame anyone for choosing to not ride in icy conditions and you really need to balance the risks of putting more pressure on the NHS and the greater risk of exposing yourself to corvid too.
Funny how all the nobbers in cars don't consider that balancing before they slide off the road into a ditch/bus stop/house!

Ice tyre worth depends on how bad it gets near you and how often you must be somewhere. They've had 6 outings this month here. Some winters they only get 6 all winter!

Yes props to you lucky folk. WFH and ice those odd few days I could ride has kept most of my riding on an indoor trainer lately. In fact, I missed riding so much last night when DW put on a naff drama, I decided to have a cold beer in the garage while pedalling casually on my trainer listening to this podcast on a new book by Peter Walker, The Miracle Pill, relevant and recommended reading.

I'm desperately awaiting a new road bike, so I have have my trusty steel frame off the trainer and setup for winter commuting duty, rather than attached to my trainer without guards and rack etc. Delivery not due until March, so my chance to get out for icy rides are looking slimmer by the day!

Agree completely. Ice is the one thing that scares me. :wacko: And in these parts, it's not worth the expense or trouble of getting studded tyres for may be a few erratic days a years. :whistle:
Each to their own, and appetite for risk. Even when the roads seem clear, if the temps drop below 0C, especially overnight, there is risk of ice, and ice doesn't melt until it rises above 3C. There is potential for black ice, and micro-climates can mean even if the air is warmer than 3C, when you might not expect it, there's still risk that there is ice around, and black ice by it's nature can be hard to spot, so to avoid potentially lethal hip shattering falls, even if it seems silly and overcautious to others, it makes sense to run studded tyres all winter long, which is what I do. As for expense or trouble, how does a shattered pelvis compare to £38 per tyre for marathon winters? It makes worrying about that effort and expense of running studs seem a bit silly, right?

Talking of playing it safe:
I've let you all down. It's -3'c for most of the day, and the roads are still partly flooded with a dusting of snow. And I realised I could still make the one train that would get me to work on time ... :-(

I'm still in single figures for fails in the last 3 years, so please forgive me! I will try for a clean sheet in March ...

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Off a week for mid term, and the thaw is set to start. Hope a week on a Monday to be back to cycling 5 days again. Only managed 4 commutes this year . I need to do something as the jelly belly is getting bigger :-)

Top Bottom