A medium sized dustbinful of urine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
How many, er,picnic bars flowing in the average pool?

This is a proud moment for me. I have saved it forever on my hard drive :

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 21.48.18.jpg

...is apparently the amount to be found in a large swimming pool.

This post from @jefmcg reminded me of this article describing how researchers have used an artificial sweetener as a marker to estimate just how much people have been weeing in the pool. 75L in an 830,000L pool, although hotel hot tubs appear to be worse.

Abstract and linky to full paper here: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.estlett.7b00043
I thought this was going to be a thread about the make up of the average internet keyboard warrior forum hero.

IMG_3973.GIF

You know, urine isn't the worst thing in a pool (ignoring picnic bars which are a shut down event in any pool, but only happens in "hilarious" comedies from the seventies).

I learnt to swim at the Harold Holt Memorial Pool. The outdoor pool was fine, but the indoor pool was slimy. I always assumed that was fat from the sloughed off skin cells of swimmers dissolved in the tepid water.

A few dozen litres of sterile kiddy urine seems benign in comparison.

But then, naming a swimming pool after a recently drowned Prime Minister is probably the epitome of poor taste.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't like the idea of it, but is a dustbin of piss in a swimming pool actually going to do anybody any physical harm? Are the people who worry about it the same neurotics who build elaborate toilet paper "nests" on public lavatory seats, and apply anti-bacterial aerosols to their hands if they recklessly touch a handrail? Isn't it a psychiatric issue rather than a public health one?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'd be more concerned about the amount of urinary bugs and potential infections contaminants on a buffet or bar snacks..I was told it's often over 30 to 40 different things in any given sample as a rule...Nice to know people wash after a pee....and why I never touch these foods.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't like the idea of it, but is a dustbin of piss in a swimming pool actually going to do anybody any physical harm? Are the people who worry about it the same neurotics who build elaborate toilet paper "nests" on public lavatory seats, and apply anti-bacterial aerosols to their hands if they recklessly touch a handrail? Isn't it a psychiatric issue rather than a public health one?
The infection risk is nil, but they seem to be suggesting that chronic exposure to the products of the reaction between nitrogenous organic compounds in urine, and chlorine in the pool, may carry some health risk.

Why would someone want to pee in a swimming pool when they can use the pool's toilets? Swimming pools and the pool's changing rooms attract some serious weirdos!!:thumbsdown:
Triathletes?

I only clicked to see if the thread was in "For Sale and Auction".
It can be, for the right price. Buyer to provide own dustbin.

Top Bottom