A Million Cycled Miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Absolutely amazing and mind boggling. I wonder how much money he would of spent on fuel covering that mileage in car.

To paraphrase ‘I’ve ridden a million miles, there’s no independent corroboration, but I have, honest, I’ve even written down the details of every ride’ righto :okay: I’ve no doubt he’s ridden a lot, given his history, and fair play to him to still be going at the age of 82. Good effort, but he may as well have claimed he’s ridden eleventy zillion miles, there’s no way of knowing. If it ain’t on Strava........

Drago

Legendary Member
To paraphrase ‘I’ve ridden a million miles, there’s no independent corroboration, but I have, honest, I’ve even written down the details of every ride’ righto :okay: I’ve no doubt he’s ridden a lot, given his history, and fair play to him to still be going at the age of 82. Good effort, but he may as well have claimed he’s ridden eleventy zillion miles, there’s no way of knowing. If it ain’t on Strava........
Even if it's on strava, there are so many ways to cheat itd be no more reliable than a written diary.

Pluses:

Detailed written diary, detailing routes taken, destination, and mileages. In the legal pantheon great weight is placed upon contemporaneous notes.

Gentleman of good character. No known history of dishonesty or deception.

General level corroboration. Those that know him will attest to the gentleman's avid enthusiasm for cycling and propensity to ride daily, going back in time many decades.

Minuses:

No detailed technical corroboration.

Therefore, Occam's Razor gives him this one. To be fair, I've seen people convicted on a lot, lot less.

Even if it's on strava, there are so many ways to cheat itd be no more reliable than a written diary.

Pluses:

Detailed written diary, detailing routes taken, destination, and mileages. In the legal pantheon great weight is placed upon contemporaneous notes.

Gentleman of good character. No known history of dishonesty or deception.

General level corroboration. Those that know him will attest to the gentleman's avid enthusiasm for cycling and propensity to ride daily, going back in time many decades.

Minuses:

No detailed technical corroboration.

Therefore, Occam's Razor gives him this one. To be fair, I've seen people convicted on a lot, lot less.
I’m sure Usain Bolt could have said he’d done the 100 meters in 6 seconds, and had his own written record to prove it as well. However.....

Drago

Legendary Member
But unlike Bolt, this chap isnt making a living from it, has no sponsors or monetary interests, isnt charging £6000 to go on the Graham Norton show, qualifies for no official record. Bolt would have lots to gain, this gentleman doesn't. He has no motive to deceive.

That's not to say he wouldn't fib, but that takes us right back to the list of evidential elements I've cited above, and both reasonable doubt and balance of probabilities fall in the gentleman's favour.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
But unlike Bolt, this chap isnt making a living from it, has no sponsors or monetary interests, isnt charging £6000 to go on the Graham Norton show, qualifies for no official record. Bolt would have lots to gain, this gentleman doesn't. He has no motive to deceive.

That's not to say he wouldn't fib, but that takes us right back to the list of evidential elements I've cited above, and both reasonable doubt and balance of probabilities fall in the gentleman's favour.
Don’t feed the troll.

Top Bottom