A Million Cycled Miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not a chance, I'd have to ride until I was well over 100 and I don't intend to live that long.
By strange coincidence, last night my oldest son informed me that this year will be the last year in our lifetimes to end in a 'teen'!
I told him he wasn't being very optimistic as he was born in 2003 and the next one will be 2113. He only needs to manage 110yrs to disprove the statement and that should be easy for him. Heck, even I fancy my chances on that one (living to be 110, not until 2113.... which would make me as old as a very old thing).

Drago

Legendary Member
I won't live long enough to ride a million miles. I plan to die age 108, breaking my neck jumping out of a ladies bedroom window with my trousers in my teeth.

Even if it's on strava, there are so many ways to cheat itd be no more reliable than a written diary.

Pluses:

Detailed written diary, detailing routes taken, destination, and mileages. In the legal pantheon great weight is placed upon contemporaneous notes.

Gentleman of good character. No known history of dishonesty or deception.

General level corroboration. Those that know him will attest to the gentleman's avid enthusiasm for cycling and propensity to ride daily, going back in time many decades.

Minuses:

No detailed technical corroboration.

Therefore, Occam's Razor gives him this one. To be fair, I've seen people convicted on a lot, lot less.

Plus, unlike someone I could mention, he's not an arris-hole.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I won't live long enough to ride a million miles. I plan to die age 108, breaking my neck jumping out of a ladies bedroom window with my trousers in my teeth.

Like a rather dissapointing.

"Reverse Milk Tray Man??"

Are the ladies in your area impressed by this kind of behaviour??

I'd say they need to up their standards somewhat :blink:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just done the maths, and at my age it's just under 54 miles a day for me. But then, how may people drive 54 miles a day and think nothing of the expense, pollution and waste of a human life?
Says the man who owns 3 cars and a motorbike. :whistle:

Quadratica

Regular
An impressive rarity....reminds of past cricket when batsmen could score a hundred centuries in first-class cricket. It will not be happening again.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Alright, it's some feat.
But please, that must have been one dull old life.
I love cycling. You love cycling. We love cycling.
What about all the other stuff we love? This geezer might well be happy, but the slavish selfishness you'd need to devote all that time to your bike? I mean, was there nothing else in his field of vision?
Monks I get. Vocation to pray. Doing something for the world yadda yadda
Hmm....

Alright, it's some feat.
But please, that must have been one dull old life.
I love cycling. You love cycling. We love cycling.
What about all the other stuff we love? This geezer might well be happy, but the slavish selfishness you'd need to devote all that time to your bike? I mean, was there nothing else in his field of vision?
Monks I get. Vocation to pray. Doing something for the world yadda yadda
Hmm....

As far as I have read he had a job, he travelled a lot as part of his love of cycling, he raced. He never married, but that in itself doesn't necessarily bring happiness, and is no great achievement. He did what he loved and had no one else to worry about, so how is that selfishness?

I have no idea of how many friends he had, and neither do you, but I believe he has had a more satisfying life than the millions of people who go to work (or not) then sit around the rest of the time otfa watching TV until they die.

Crankarm

Guru
Maybe the guy has cycled a million miles maybe he hasn't? Say he started cycling at 10 years old this gives 72 years of cycling 13,888 miles for each of these years. To reach the million mile milestone he would need to cycle this distance year on year, starting from age 10 to present day. I am sceptical as having cycled 12k a year myself for several years, his claims seem to me to be some what stretching it. If we say he started cycling serious distances much later in his life, but still when he was a young man, say from age 18, then this annual average distance he needs to ride to reach one million miles equates to 15,625 miles each year for 64 years. Some years have may had to ride a lot more than 15,625 miles to make up for any short fall in previous years. He can't have had much time to do anything else if he had a full time job as well. Maybe as a civil servant he didn't do very much? When I used to ride 12k a year commuting, working full time, I was permanently in a cycle of riding, eating, washing clothing, maintaining bike(s), sleeping to recover. I had little or no time for much else. I was very fit, but come the end of each week I was knackered. I did this for three years. Even cycling half the distance of the one million miles he is claiming, it would be a monumental effort. Unless there is other corroborating evidence other than his own I would take his claim with a pinch of salt. I hope his claims are true as ultimately the only person(s) he is cheating is himself and maybe the people who have been taken in by him.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Say he started cycling at [...] If we say he started cycling serious distances much later in his life, [...] Some years have may had to ride [...]
The details that you are guessing at are in the article. At least some of them.

By the way, there's a guy in the states, Freddie Hoffman, who has logged even more than that.

Edit to add @Crankarm ... If you find the above a bit abrupt, sorry. I'm not knocking your scepticism. If that's what your gut feel is, fair enough. Personally I tend to believe it. It doesn't really matter either way - there's no cost to anyone. I doubt if he cares whether you believe him or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom