A nation yawns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arch said:
I shall probably be celebrating the day with some cake at lunchtime...;)

Lead lined coffin? Really? Thought they were reserved for irradiated Russians. If her coffin really really is 100% airtight, then she won't be preserved anyway - decomposition starts to set in pretty quickly, starting with the spread of gut bacteria. To be preserved, she'd have to have been embalmed, internal organs removed etc. I think a sealed lead lined coffin might contain a rather dessicated body (bone and skin) and a pool of... icky stuff..., but I'm not sure how airtight one would really be anyway.

You are totally mistaken!

The lack of corruption of the body is one of the first signs of Sainthood.

You will be suggesting she was a mere mortal next - and that amounts to Blasphemy.

On a more serious note................

The thing that annoyed me was the fact that you were being forced into the hysteria.

Two events illustrate this.

One was a radio phone - in where an extreme Diana fan was trying to organise a boycott of a local butchers because they were committing the awful crime of being ..................... open on the day of the funeral!

The second was the fact that we were cycle touring on the day of the funeral and got a huffy reception form a pub who thought it was inappropriate to be doing so, an as for asking if they served food!

Kovu

Über Member
Okay so I am too young to rememeber the death properly, but all I remember is people saying 'awhhh she was the people's princess', etc etc etc - blah blah blah!

Fair enough, she did alot for people, but there's so many peopel who do that out there. As someone or other said in the Sun today -'i'd rather mourn the soldiers that die in Iraq.'

So would I.

Melvil

spesh said:
Closely followed by the offering of icons and lighting candles at the shrine...

Give it few years and Holy Trinity will have mutated into Diana, Elvis and L. Ron Hubbard... ;)

Princesss Scientokingsology-uh-huh-hur!

Bring it on!

Hugo15

Über Member
On the 7.30 new on Radio 5 this morning the present started off by saying "Today the Royal Family celebrates" before correcting herself and reading what it should have been ""Today the Royal Family, celebrities and..marks the 10th anniversary..." Made me smile.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Before we get too sniffy about all this Di adoration malarky, what's with all the stuff left at Tom Simpson's memorial on Ventoux?

He's been dead even longer and people still think he needs a few dozen water bottles and a couple of cycling caps left each year. What for?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Commuter said:
In any other walk of life she'd be called a slapper :biggrin:
Totally agree.

papercorn2000 said:
I did have to refrain from boasting to my mates. Mind you, once she'd died, I found out she'd been doing Tam the Barman as well!
Fekkin Hell ! I thought I was the only one she swallowed for.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my memory of the day was that i turned the tv on and "oh ****, hope the game (alex vs port vale d1) is still on".

according to teletext it is, so off i go, requiring a bus and a train as it's a sunday and i've no car. get to crewe, game's off. so i end up sitting in a chippy with a few mates bitching about the whole thing. the bloke who ran the chippy was virtually giving away all the fresh fish he'd ordered in for the derby match that should have happened.

best alternative headline we could come up with was "Di Dead as a Dodi", and i still think it's not been bettered by the real tabloids.

and we lost the rearranged game 1-0 :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Tim Bennet. said:
Before we get too sniffy about all this Di adoration malarky, what's with all the stuff left at Tom Simpson's memorial on Ventoux?

He's been dead even longer and people still think he needs a few dozen water bottles and a couple of cycling caps left each year. What for?

no bins.

Tim Bennet. said:

One was a cyclist, the other a bike :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if the tabloids could make money from images of tom simpson we'd have had a load of 40th anniversary stuff during the tour. and the tour managed to go up and down the mountain that casatelli died on with barely a mention of it on the tv commentary.

mikeitup

Veteran
It is such a negative thing to be fixated by the death of someone who died many years ago.

Tell that to the Christians :biggrin:

I missed the wedding cos I was out on me bike. I was out for hours.
Good old Raleigh Grifter!!

I didn't know she was dead. Nobody told me :biggrin:

Top Bottom