A nation yawns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
To prevent any nasty journalist sneaking over, lifting the lid and doing a quick pregnancy test? (However you would do that on a corpse - maybe the hormones would show up or something?)

It does puzzle me. The telly and the newspapers are full of this 'the whole nation grieves' stuff...but I don't know who they're talking about.

I've never heard anyone express these kind of views.
(except telly pundits, journalists, royal hagiographers, etc)

Not even the mother-in-law, who does have a (free with coupons from the Daily Mail...) Lady Di & Charles royal wedding plate on the dresser, and can be guaranteed to come-out with Daily Mail opinions on asylum seekers/unmarried mothers/teenage gun crime/etc.

If this forum is a representation, no-one on here is saying it.

So who are these people ?

Being cycnical, I have wondered if they really do exist or are they just a fabrication by the media.

I fear they do, but probably just move in different circles to me.

We went to Paris last year and stumbed-over the underpass where she died. It's underneath a roundabout next to one of the bridges over the Seine and we went to look at it as it has a sculpture on top, either a representation of or a prototype of the flame from the Statue of Liberty.
We realised it was the underpass because graffiti'd onto the bridge were so many messages 'Diana we'll love you always'-type stuff (plus the odd 'f*ck you Diana' as well...).

Personally I thought the flowers left outside Kensington Palace after her death were obscene, made me very angry - if that money had been given to Saint Diana's charities, they might have made significant good to the lives of a lot of needy people...

Melvil

andy_wrx said:
It does puzzle me. The telly and the newspapers are full of this 'the whole nation grieves' stuff...but I don't know who they're talking about.

I've never heard anyone express these kind of views.
(except telly pundits, journalists, royal hagiographers, etc)

Not even the mother-in-law, who does have a (free with coupons from the Daily Mail...) Lady Di & Charles royal wedding plate on the dresser, and can be guaranteed to come-out with Daily Mail opinions on asylum seekers/unmarried mothers/teenage gun crime/etc.

If this forum is a representation, no-one on here is saying it.

So who are these people ?

Being cycnical, I have wondered if they really do exist or are they just a fabrication by the media.

I fear they do, but probably just move in different circles to me.

We went to Paris last year and stumbed-over the underpass where she died. It's underneath a roundabout next to one of the bridges over the Seine and we went to look at it as it has a sculpture on top, either a representation of or a prototype of the flame from the Statue of Liberty.
We realised it was the underpass because graffiti'd onto the bridge were so many messages 'Diana we'll love you always'-type stuff (plus the odd 'f*ck you Diana' as well...).

Personally I thought the flowers left outside Kensington Palace after her death were obscene, made me very angry - if that money had been given to Saint Diana's charities, they might have made significant good to the lives of a lot of needy people...

Well, exactly, they could have been. I have noted a disturbing tendency of some people to react to criticism of the way in which Diana's death was handled, hyped and hysterically grieved over as if it was a criticism of the woman herself, whom I have nothing against.

I admit, I laughed my ass off when Elton John played 'Candle in the Wind' at her funeral because it just seemed spectacularly innapropriate...but I was quite sad when I first heard the news back on that sunday morning. But only for a while. I didn't know her. I'd never met her.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The kind of people who mourn are the same people who collect Lladro porcelain figurines, as I wrote above. Have a look at the Lladro.co.uk site to see what I mean. Most of the posters on this site won't have met these kind of people or even seen Lladro because most of the posters on this site just don't inhabit those kinds of social circles.

Melvil said:
As someone else said, we as a nation are pretty much forbidden to show our grief when something very bad happens...we are supposed to be upset for a little while and then pull ourselves up and get on with life.

Diana dying 'allowed' the nation to be upset and mourn in public and I think most people, if they looked deep down in their heart of hearts, weren't really crying for her, they were crying for all the people close to them that they'd lost. She's really a symbol of sadness, a marking post if you will.

Anyway, that's my ha'pennyworth.

That's an interesting point M. The 'Diana reaction' didn't bother me really, I thought it was understandable given how high profile she was, and how people perceived that she'd been through a lot in her life. A lot of the reaction must have been empathy with her - what she'd been through, for the children, and other relatives. To some extent when we hear reports of someone say losing children we feel some of the pain - by putting ourselves in their shoes. Sometimes we may not be able to act on this, apart from sending a card, or sympathising in some way.

10th anniv. remembrance services; fair enough too - probably a time to draw a line though. But with the inquest coming up...that's not going to happen for a while yet.

Andy

papercorn2000

I did have to refrain from boasting to my mates. Mind you, once she'd died, I found out she'd been doing Tam the Barman as well!

Top Bottom