A new scam to me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

I heard a story the other day about a lady who was in the process of conducting a financial transaction with her solicitors. She had a text thread ongoing with them and was expecting a text about payment. The scammers had intercepted the text stream and mimicked the solicitor's details. They sent her a text, which appeared in the same text thread, containing a link to initiate the payment. It appeared to the victim as part of an ongoing conversation with a legit and trusted source and yes, she was expecting it. With her guard down she clicked on the link. All seemed fine but a few mins later it occurred to her that it was odd that they'd sent her a link. She rang her bank but it was too late, they'd already taken thousands out of her account.
They intercepted sms messages? Is that really possible? Wow.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Phone numbers can be got fairly easily. How often do you change your landline number?

True...but they either had a list of subscribers to this particular service (which could only have come from BT one assumes) or they ring everyone in the expectation that a small % hit rate subscribe

classic33

Leg End Member
True...but they either had a list of subscribers to this particular service (which could only have come from BT one assumes) or they ring everyone in the expectation that a small % hit rate subscribe
Or as BT did, whilst clearing out a local building, dump the paper records into an open skip. Along with some of their servers.

Telecoms get blocks of numbers. They would be able to tell from the digits which company originally provided the landline. They'd get a few misses for people who changed provider and kept the number, but it would not be that many people.

classic33

Leg End Member
Telecoms get blocks of numbers. They would be able to tell from the digits which company originally provided the landline. They'd get a few misses for people who changed provider and kept the number, but it would not be that many people.
Nine times out of ten, BT. Subscription to a companies service would be harder find.

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you just pull facts out of your ..... ? :smile:

According to ofcom, it's less than 4/10 that use BT. It's still the best guess, as the next closest is Virgin at 13%.

But you don't have to guess. Which company the number was allocated to public information.

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

At one stage BT(GPO) were the only supplier of home lines in most areas. Thought most knew that bit, at least!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Post_Office

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Nine times out of ten, BT. Subscription to a companies service would be harder find.

You're right, and that's what others are misunderstanding. The call to my Mum was made on the basis that she was a subscriber to a particular BT service, not that she had a BT line. As I said, either someone is leaking the list of subscribers to the particular BT service or the scammers are just phoning everyone in the expectation that a small % subscribe for this service (I'm guessing BT Privacy and Caller Display is only taken up by a small % customers)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a non tech fraud story, which just goes to show you don't need to go phishing via email/internet.

My Grandparents were conned by these guys - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/syria-bank-terror-fraud-gang-7861488

My Grandfather who is 94 was called by the Police and told to go and get money out of the bank and hand it over to a policeman who would come to the door that evening. My grandfather goes to the bank weekly to withdraw £50 in cash from inside the branch, he has been doing it for 20 years or more. One day he walked in and asked for 20K (a large part of his savings), they just handed it over without any questions.

He got suspicious about 2 hours after he handed the money over because the plain clothed policeman did not show his warrant card because he was 'undercover'. The local police escalated it to the Met anti-terrorism department who took it all very seriously.

After a bit of pressure the bank actually refunded my Grandfather as an act of goodwill - which I was surprised about. The incident certainly affected his confidence, which at his age was already very low. I don't think he has left the house on his own since.

At one stage BT(GPO) were the only supplier of home lines in most areas. Thought most knew that bit, at least!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Post_Office
80% of the number ranges, then yes. But I doubt it's anywhere near 80% the numbers that are actually currently in use.

I've had at least 7 different land line numbers since competition was first introduced (according to wikipedia, mid 80s). Remember if you move to a different exchange (more than a few miles) you have to get a new number. People who haven't moved for decades and thus keep the same phone number would mostly be older and more likely to stick with what they know. So I still suspect that the phone numbers would much more highly correlated with the current provider.

The same is not true for mobiles, I've kept the same number through 3 different companies. My number tells you nothing about who my provider is.

But, irrelevant as it's the product that they knew about.

@nickyboy: the BT site is completely useless at explaining what exactly BT Privacy is. Is it just caller ID, or does it block withheld numbers? If the latter, they could try calling with a withheld number, and if the call is rejected, try again with a spoofed number and use their "BT Privacy" script.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
80% of the number ranges, then yes. But I doubt it's anywhere near 80% the numbers that are actually currently in use.

I've had at least 7 different land line numbers since competition was first introduced (according to wikipedia, mid 80s). Remember if you move to a different exchange (more than a few miles) you have to get a new number. People who haven't moved for decades and thus keep the same phone number would mostly be older and more likely to stick with what they know. So I still suspect that the phone numbers would more highly correlated with the current provider.

But, irrelevant as it's the product that they knew about.

@nickyboy: the BT site is completely useless at explaining what exactly BT Privacy is. Is it just caller ID, or does it block withheld numbers? If the latter, they could try calling with a withheld number, and if the call is rejected, try again with a spoofed number and use their "BT Privacy" script.
I went with what you said, not what you're saying.

Top Bottom