A new twist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I think this abuse of cyclists, both by random drivers and Daily Wail writers, actually reveals their feelings of guilt.

They know that, whatever the journey, really and truly, they probably don't really have an excuse for using a car for it. If they can find an excuse - any excuse, however weak - for hating cyclists, they also have a reason for not being one, and that helps to assuage their guilt.

Doesn't help you much, JP, I know. But there's a bit of amateur psychology for you to think about...

yenrod

>jiggerypokery

You should have just said 'you can do a whole lot more damage with that than me'

Mr Pig

liambauckham said:
i would have either

a. done a number on him and his car
b. goaded him by saying "killing peds is all just a bit of fun" this would have then led to a
c. all of the above

Yeah, were all heroes today eh? I would probably have done exactly what the man did do. Nothing, 'sept be depressed.

liambauckham

Über Member
theres no heroes here, but showing him what its like to be on the receiving end of violence may make him learn. either that or you'll just get some relief taking your frustration caused from the daily wail out on this one person.

either way its a win win

What were you wearing? Maybe it was a sartorial comment from a Gok Wan wannabee, maybe what he really wanted to say was "that lycra doesn't suit you, you should be wearing something baggy but bright with your body shape" but didn't have time to spit it all out.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
This has been playing on my mind all day, it's just such a shocking thing to happen, completely random and unprovoked.

Last night i had something similar but not as extreme, just a guy shouting and giving me the v signs through Stourbridge. I shrugged it off then, but it makes me wonder what sort of loons are out there that can be provoked by someone riding a bike.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
No, no NO,

You've got this completely wrong!

The chap in question was obviously privvy to the secret of Lycra. Lycra is actually obtained from the Lye. A rare and secretive lizard found only in the Carpathian mountains. In the 60's this poor beast was domesticated and extensively farmed for its peculiarly stretchy skin.

Fearing backlash from the animal rights brigade, the Lye farmers put about the absurd theory that Lycra was a man-made material. Most people believed this. However a small group of LIARS (Lycra Is A Reptile Skin) found out the truth, and continue to berate wearers of Lycra as MURDERERS.....

Simple really when you think about it...... :eek:

PBancroft

It has very little to do with cyclists, IMHO, and more to do with road rage.

The other day I saw a company name-emblazoned truck completely disregard give way markings when crossing a dual carriageway. When a driver on the far side had to perform an emergency stop, he beeped (naturally) and the company truck driver started berating him, at one point looking like he was going to get out his cab. On a dual carriageway.

Cyclists are often an easy target for outbursts of road rage, and the recent news coverage makes for a justification in some people's minds for their behaviour.

I don't see that changing until the media changes its attitude, and I don't see that happening all by itself. Cyclists have a reason to be up in arms at the moment - butare we? We should be writing to the editor when The Time prints a statement from a Taxi driver that told he overtook too close, he would "have got out and killed him" as a valid viewpoint.

We should be doing this en masse. We should be making the point, and repeatedly, that we cycle carefully and appropriately and legally (and if we don't, we bloody well should).

The meeja in this country will not change its stance unless they think they have something to gain out of it. By remaining silent, they will assume - and perhaps rightly - that their readership agrees with the sentiment that cyclists are a burden on the road.

Jaded

You should write a carefully crafted letter to The Times, describing what happened and then ask the question about the link between media coverage and public behaviour.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
You should write a carefully crafted letter to The Times, describing what happened and then ask the question about the link between media coverage and public behaviour.

Yes, you should. It might even be printed. Just write what you posted here.

lynx

Mr Pig said:
Yeah, were all heroes today eh? I would probably have done exactly what the man did do. Nothing, 'sept be depressed.

But hindsight is wonderful.

Hey chap in the car is an idiot. Whipped up to a frenzy by the media.

Top Bottom