A new venture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well - Ive just joined the Cleveleys Road Club - or i will have done when ive filled in the forms - at my age - im hoping it will improve my performance - apparently riding with a group is beneficial - well i will soon find out

Can anyone give me some advice or tips about it -- cheers Leigh

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Just enjoy yourself. Try not to keep up with the faster members as you will only blowup early. Find a group of similar fitness and then start to push it along when it's your turn at the front. Eventually you will start to get better and can move up groups. Oh....and don't forget to take money with you.....cake and tea is a very important part of club rides :tongue:

Grizzly

I know this does not answer your question but I just wanted to say good luck. I've not plucked up the courage to join my local club (yet), please let us know how you get on.

Just enjoy yourself. Try not to keep up with the faster members as you will only blowup early. Find a group of similar fitness and then start to push it along when it's your turn at the front. Eventually you will start to get better and can move up groups. Oh....and don't forget to take money with you.....cake and tea is a very important part of club rides :tongue:

actualy the club has got various groups of fitness - initially i will be going with the REMOULDS - I think the name tells all - you are right in what you say - my main concern was holding other cyclists back or being blown out - however after going to the first club meeting my fears were to put to rest - thanks for your coments --- cheers Leigh.

One of the main reasons that people don't join clubs is because they are afraid of not being fast enough, don't worry, they will look after you. When it comes to hills again it's an irrational fear that a lot of riders have, everyone has their own speed going up a hill and club ride leaders recognise this and will re-group at the top. You will almost certainly learn new things which will aid you when cycling on your own. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

StuartG

slower but further
You can go twice as far with friends as by yourself.

Hope you enjoy it and especially the company. Too many miss out on the joys of club riding, whether it be of the 'beer and cake' tendency (me) or the speedsters ...

apollo179

Im sure youl love it and get on fine cos youve got the attitude to make it be a success.
Re - groups i figure the critical thing is if you want to ride as a group (der obviously) . Personally i woudnt.
It is often suggested that this is due to fear - fear of being able to keep up , fear of not fitting in etc etc.
Whatever personally i just dont like belonging to groups. Id be interested to ride with others but not be part of a "group".
But that should not be interpreted as a critiscism of those who are attracted by belonging to a "group". There are obvious advantages in being a member of any group .
Anyway enjoy it.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I just wish there was a road club near me :rolleyes: I've had a word with our LBS, but I don't think they are really bothered; they seem to be far more into MTB :wacko:

screenman

Legendary Member
cloggsy, you must be kidding, Yorkshire is full of quality road clubs, I suggest changing your bike shop if they cannot be bothered to help with good advice.

Top Bottom