A nice commuting demonstration...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
villesansvoiture-simon.gif

Damning on cars but loks like the bus and the tube are ahead of cycling. A number of cities are already planning integrated pilotless pod transfers on rails for the future. More efficent, less pollution, safer and more importantly less space required.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Damning on cars but loks like the bus and the tube are ahead of cycling. A number of cities are already planning integrated pilotless pod transfers on rails for the future. More efficent, less pollution, safer and more importantly less space required.
Cycling is better for peoples health though and takes you straight to your destination, plus even less pollution.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

Buses and Tubes go where there want to go to and often travel at under capacity. A cycle goes wherever you like and only causes congestion when it is actually being used at capacity.

Cycling is better for peoples health though and takes you straight to your destination, plus even less pollution.

Heathy yes but not speedy nor efficient for a large city. It however does work for towns and villages. The current underground and oveground gets across much of London much faster. People cycle for cost, health and enjoyment but there is the time sacrifice.

Buses and Tubes go where there want to go to and often travel at under capacity. A cycle goes wherever you like and only causes congestion when it is actually being used at capacity.

Thus the intergrated pilotless pods of the future where you board and get off much closer to your destination and save time. The pods will be much smaller. Very similar to Amazon's state of the art wajrehouse. It just means that I will have to cycle more for recreation, health and certainly for the pleasure of it outside the city.

subaqua

What’s the point
Heathy yes but not speedy nor efficient for a large city. It however does work for towns and villages. The current underground and oveground gets across much of London much faster. People cycle for cost, health and enjoyment but there is the time sacrifice.

http://www.findproperly.co.uk/faster-by-public-transport-or-bike.php

Really? When you add in time to get to tube/train/bus stop versus door to door by bike I know it's a lot quicker by bike for me.

The map above is not accurate in that it says Knightsbridge is faster by public transport from my home. It isn't I have tried multiple routes on all forms and bike is quickest .

Drago

Legendary Member
Brilliant. If only the people that finance and build cycle parking facilities could be persuaded to look at this.

Of course, with oil at record low prices - possibly even dipping under $10 a barrel over the next few weeks - no one will give a crap.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can't beat a bike for efficiency - powered by cupcakes and water and with its own inbuilt gym.

Heathy yes but not speedy nor efficient for a large city. It however does work for towns and villages. The current underground and oveground gets across much of London much faster.

I found that average journey time from Walthamstow to Trafalger Sq was the same by underground or bike, and bike journey time always remained average +- 1 min.
You have to factor in walk to station, waiting time, changeing line or bus, and walk from station, and account for unscheduled stops. Public transport rarely exceeds 10mph door-to-door.

http://www.findproperly.co.uk/faster-by-public-transport-or-bike.php

Really? When you add in time to get to tube/train/bus stop versus door to door by bike I know it's a lot quicker by bike for me.

The map above is not accurate in that it says Knightsbridge is faster by public transport from my home. It isn't I have tried multiple routes on all forms and bike is quickest .

I found that average journey time from Walthamstow to Trafalger Sq was the same by underground or bike, and bike journey time always remained average +- 1 min.
You have to factor in walk to station, waiting time, changeing line or bus, and walk from station, and account for unscheduled stops. Public transport rarely exceeds 10mph door-to-door.

I do concede there will be locations where it will be faster by bike. But the future integrated plan that some cities are planning will be interesting as the move towards pods will cover this as well. Heathrow terminal 5 for business car park users is probably the first of this type of futuristic transport system.

Top Bottom