A Personal Message to Critical Mass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
1. Passing the current L-test gets you an interim licence valid for 2 years
2. Within those 2 years, you have to pass an IAM/RoSPA level test to convert to a standard licence
3. Retests at IAM/RoSPA level every five years to retain the licence

brokenbetty

Über Member
I was thinking about this today as I bimbled in to work.

I think Critical Mass has it the wrong way around. Instead of a mass of cyclists, we need a mass of cars.

Once a year, everyone who normally commutes or otherwise uses a bike as day to day transport should get hold of a car and drive instead. For those who can't drive, as many as possible get a taxi.

The aim is to demonstrate that people who chose to cycle are not slowing traffic down, they reduce congestion. People on bikes benefit everyone, even drivers. To reinforce this anyone who would normally be on a bike would display a large bike graphic in their back window.

In itself that won't encourage anyone to ride a bike, but it would encourage the habitual drivers to think of bikes as a good thing for other people at least. And just that acceptance would make a real difference both to how cyclists are treated today and to whether people think of cycling as a viable way of getting around in future.

Really, when you think about it like that we should be the WMV's best friend for helping to keep his roads clear :smile:

chap

Veteran
brokenbetty said:

I think Critical Mass has it the wrong way around. Instead of a mass of cyclists, we need a mass of cars.

Once a year, everyone who normally commutes or otherwise uses a bike as day to day transport should get hold of a car and drive instead. For those who can't drive, as many as possible get a taxi.

The aim is to demonstrate that people who chose to cycle are not slowing traffic down, they reduce congestion. People on bikes benefit everyone, even drivers. To reinforce this anyone who would normally be on a bike would display a large bike graphic in their back window.

In itself that won't encourage anyone to ride a bike, but it would encourage the habitual drivers to think of bikes as a good thing for other people at least. And just that acceptance would make a real difference both to how cyclists are treated today and to whether people think of cycling as a viable way of getting around in future.

Really, when you think about it like that we should be the WMV's best friend for helping to keep his roads clear :biggrin:

I felt compelled to log in purely to state that your suggestion is a very good idea, and an exemplary example of creative thinking - minus the inane business connotations.

If fattie isn't impressed with the look of the healthy way, try a temporary heart attack.

Anyway, time to log off, wishing you a good night.

Tubbs

brokenbetty said:

Really, when you think about it like that we should be the WMV's best friend for helping to keep his roads clear :biggrin:

Oh my god I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day. Exactly the same thing. :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Come off it, no-one would notice and if they did, they would find some other explanation - Gordon Brown, the weather, anything except the idea that cars might be any kind of a problem.

I think CM may have run its course as an idea. But some of you dismissing CM now should realise just how much you owe to those who helped organise CMs back in the early 90s when fewer people were cycling and the Thatcherite 'Great Car Economy' was still ascendent. CMs played a big part in raising the profile and awareness of cycling. In an changed environment it may be time for new tactics - I don't know - but don't forget.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
I think CM may have run its course as an idea. But some of you dismissing CM now should realise just how much you owe to those who helped organise CMs back in the early 90s when fewer people were cycling and the Thatcherite 'Great Car Economy' was still ascendent. CMs played a big part in raising the profile and awareness of cycling. In an changed environment it may be time for new tactics - I don't know - but don't forget.

As someone who was attending CMs in the 90s and is now only an occasional participant, I agree.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Come off it, no-one would notice and if they did, they would find some other explanation - Gordon Brown, the weather, anything except the idea that cars might be any kind of a problem.

Most habitual drivers do recognise cars cause problems. They just think it is limited to cars that are driven by other people.

You won't get those drivers to switch to a bike but you might get them to see cyclists positively as one less car in their way, which will feed into how they treat cyclists on the road and talk about them in the pub, and that's the type of cultural change that's needed to make cycling the mainstream transport it should be.

CopperBrompton

What has raised the profile of cycling in London is, er, a lot of people cycling in London.

The real boost came from 7/7, when that great irrational response people have to a dramatic event kicked in and suddenly lots of people were scared of the tube. A friend who works in a central London bike shop says sales went through the roof the following week.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ben Lovejoy said:
What has raised the profile of cycling in London is, er, a lot of people cycling in London.

The real boost came from 7/7, when that great irrational response people have to a dramatic event kicked in and suddenly lots of people were scared of the tube. A friend who works in a central London bike shop says sales went through the roof the following week.

surely that was the congestion charge? if you didn't have that you would still have the same problems as every other city.

CopperBrompton

bromptonfb said:
surely that was the congestion charge? if you didn't have that you would still have the same problems as every other city.
The congestion charge was mostly a con-trick by Ken. He scheduled three years worth of road maintenance into the six months prior to the introduction of the charge, all of which coincidentally completed as the charge was introduced. Surprise, surprise, congestion was reduced and average speeds were higher.

Top Bottom