A Personal Message to Critical Mass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
bromptonfb said:
but was there an increase in cycle usage due to cars being priced off the road?
I doubt it. No-one with any sanity voluntarily drives through central London. People do it either because they have lots of stuff to carry or because they lack sanity. In neither case is a switch to cycling a likely outcome.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
really? the congestion charge is £10 isn't? it would certainly make me ride, but i am a tight northern git. plus parking fees on top? or is that a pittance to high earning londoners?

CopperBrompton

bromptonfb said:
really? the congestion charge is £10 isn't? it would certainly make me ride, but i am a tight northern git. plus parking fees on top? or is that a pittance to high earning londoners?
Parking for a day in central London will typically cost you something in the £20-35 range; if you can afford that, another tenner for the congestion tax isn't really an issue.

The congestion tax allowed Ken to do two things: hit out at cars (which he hates) and raise a lot of tax. It did naff all to reduce congestion.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ben Lovejoy said:
The congestion charge was mostly a con-trick by Ken. He scheduled three years worth of road maintenance into the six months prior to the introduction of the charge, all of which coincidentally completed as the charge was introduced. Surprise, surprise, congestion was reduced and average speeds were higher.

This barmy con-trick theory allowed Ben to do two things: hit out at Ken (who he hates) and whinge about taxes (his favourite pastime). It did naff all to enhance civilised discussion.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Both Ben and brompton are wrong as far as I know, neither 7/7 nor the congestion charge had any serious effect on cycling numbers, they were just blips on an otherwise pre-existing trend.

BigSteev

theclaud said:
This barmy con-trick theory

or the truth as it happens. He also left out the rephasing of traffic lights at major junctions which added to congestion* and their subsequent resetting to coincide with the intro of the congestion charge.

But then, all of that would not be noticed by anyone that didn't have the misfortune of having to regularly drive into/through London.

*and, imho, played a big part in the increase in RLJing in London.

schlafsack

Ken did rephase the lights but it was Borris that put them back, long after the congestion charge was introduced.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
BentMikey said:
Both Ben and brompton are wrong as far as I know, neither 7/7 nor the congestion charge had any serious effect on cycling numbers, they were just blips on an otherwise pre-existing trend.

sorry if you misunderstood me. i was asking as i have no idea. probably my writing skills again.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
BentMikey said:

Are there any trustworthy stats anywhere that show the trend over say, 20 years....

CopperBrompton

BentMikey said:
Do you have some stats?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ben Lovejoy said:
'Hates' is too strong, but 'considers a nasty piece of work' would be true.

You appear to be confusing me with someone else there.

Apologies if so. I took your comment about about Ken raising a lot of tax on motorists to be a complaint. Anyway, this thread needs a Jonesy or a DomD. I'm a Ken fan, but Steev is quite right to point out that I know next-to-nothing about games played with traffic-light phasing. And to be honest, I'm not sure I care very much. Ken is a wily sort, and the congestion charge is a Very Good Thing, which I would like to see extended to evenings, weekends and other cities. Timing things nicely to maximise the political impact of something that is a good idea in itself seems to me to be pretty smart...

CopperBrompton

theclaud said:
Apologies if so.
Accepted.

Steev is quite right to point out that I know next-to-nothing about games played with traffic-light phasing. And to be honest, I'm not sure I care very much
The end justifies the means?

If he'd had the courage to admit his aim and his motivations, I'd have had more respect for him, but he thought nothing of deceiving the people he was supposed to represent in order to get his own way.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I rather suspect that whole roadworks/traffic light phasing is nothing more than an urban legend. Sounds good, nice way to blame someone else for the traffic problem, and easy to spread, but no truth to it.

Top Bottom